Here is an easy way to bring a healthy boost into your 4th of July BBQ… with my favorite bison burgers! Check out the exclusive recipe from my cookbook, Cooking Healthy Together, for a tasty (and healthy) twist on this classic American dish your friends & family will all love.
Grilled Bison Burgers
Nothing makes you think of a BBQ more than a big juicy burger. I love bison because it’s big on flavor, low in fat and has an extremely high amount of protein. Bison (also know as buffalo) is simple to cook and can be substituted for any recipe that calls for red meat. Just be careful with cooking time since it tends to cook faster than beef!
- 1⁄2 lb. organic ground bison
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Pepper jack cheese (optional)
- Whole grain hamburger buns or lettuce cups
*Optional toppings: Dijon mustard, sliced tomatoes, red onion, avocado, chopped romaine lettuce
1. Pour a little oil on a towel and rub onto BBQ grills before turning the burners on to medium-high heat. Preheat grill for 5-10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine bison with garlic, olive oil, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, sea salt and pepper by mixing well with clean hands.
3. Roll meat mixture by hand into 2 round balls; place on a plate and slightly flatten by pressing down on the center to create an even 1-inch thick patty.
4. Transfer patties onto preheated grill and cook for 3-6 minutes per side over medium-high heat to desired doneness (3 minutes per side for rare, 4 minutes per side for medium, 5-6 minutes per side for well done). If you wish to add cheese, add it after you have flipped your burger and during the last minute of cooking so it can melt properly.
5. Remove patties from grill and transfer to a clean plate. Serve with hamburger buns or with lettuce cups and dress with optional toppings.