food cravings

It can strike at any time; one minute we’re proudly sated by a bowl of wholesome roasted veggies, and the next minute we can’t imagine our lives without the cupcake we’ve spotted on Instagram. Yup, we’re talking about food cravings. Though they can’t always be predicted or prevented, a sudden craving doesn’t have to leave us feeling helpless. In fact, often, cravings have a deeper meaning than what we may suspect. Jennie Miremadi is an integrative and functional nutritionist who knows a thing or two about helping clients stay on track with their wellness goals. Get her tips for reclaiming control over those cray cray cravings below…


7 Ways to Manage Food Cravings


Keeping yourself hydrated can help curb cravings. Drink water throughout the day. Before you reach for that slice of pizza, have a glass of water and then check in to see if you still want it.

Don't Skip Meals

If you’re regularly skipping meals, not eating enough, and severely restricting your calorie intake, you’re setting yourself up to have serious cravings.  In particular, people that skip breakfast and lunch, often have unhealthy cravings in the afternoon and evening. Instead, eat regularly throughout the day (when you’re physically hungry) and fill yourself up with nutrient-dense food.

Go Whole + Natural

Eating foods that are processed and artificial will never fill you up, which can cause cravings.  Even if you’ve eaten a full meal, your brain will still send out hunger signals because your body hasn’t received the essential nutrients it needs to function properly. Eating whole, unprocessed, natural foods helps satiate you and reduce cravings.

Eat Fiber, Protein + Good Fats

Restricting fiber, protein and healthy fat can set you up to have cravings. Make sure to eat enough fiber and quality protein at each meal, and include healthy fats in your diet, such as avocados, olives, seeds, nuts, coconut oil, olive oil and wild Alaskan salmon.

Avoid Sugar

Eating sweets, candies, cookies and other sugary treats can trigger more sugar cravings. Even seemingly “healthy” processed foods often contain hidden sources of sugar.  Read labels and try to avoid sugar at the outset to help prevent subsequent cravings.


If you’re not physically hungry but are having food cravings, think about what else might be driving your cravings. Are you stressed, bored or lonely? Identifying and dealing with the real trigger for your food cravings can help reduce the food craving itself.

Be Nice to You

Remember that the food you eat doesn’t define who you are as a person. You are so much more than that. If you get off track and find yourself reaching for that donut instead of the almonds, don’t beat yourself up. Next time, try to think about giving your body love by feeding it with healthy, whole foods that are going to truly nourish it.

Bottom banner image
From our friends


  1. I have found intermittent fasting the best way for managing food cravings! Because I limit when I eat (not what), my body craves healthy meals and seeks out nutrients, so I crave vegetables when I start to get hungry! And when I do want something sweet, like an oatmeal cookie, I am totally satisfied eating one and not going back for more. Win Win.

  2. I love this! Totally been experiencing cravings that I used to have and think it is def emotional. Thanks for this tidbit of mindfulness. xo

  3. I agree on the intermittent fasting. I was diagnosed as a Type 1 Diabetic last year and had to suddenly be real about my addiction to self soothe with food. But have not been on insulin for 2 months now after switching to an 80 % raw diet. The other 20% I’m Banting. And simply not eating after 7pm or before 10am most days. Of course I fall off the wagon now and again but being really clear on my choices and motivation and having water nearby ALWAYS, helps me to feel the craving and let it pass. That’s actually been key… not repressing my cravings, but allowing that aspect of myself who wants what is not ideal for me, to be acknowledged. Accepting the craving instead of judging it or pushing it away sets up a kinder way of relating to myself.

  4. I completely agree! These tips are also great for curing acne. 🙂 About to have a protein rich meal at Whole Foods.

    Olena Beley | 04.06.2016 | Reply
  5. Good advise. Just a bit disappointed there was no info on that delicious photo of fruit and water that lured me to your post.

    Cobylyn | 06.19.2017 | Reply

Leave A Comment