DIY Sugar Honey Lip Scrub
1.27.12

During the cold winter months, my lips are always dry and chapped. No amount of lip balm could provide relief. Then I recently started to exfoliate my lips twice a week and what a difference it’s made! My exfoliated lips are able to absorb the moisture from the lip balm so much better than before. No more dead skin cells to get between my lips and they have their much needed moisture! The best part is that I was able to make an effective lip scrub using ingredients already in my kitchen.

If you’re experiencing dry, chapped lips, try this super easy recipe to make your very own DIY lip scrub. Using ingredients like sugar and honey, tour lips (and kissing partner) will thank you!

• What You'll Need:

1 tablespoon of sugar
    1 tablespoon of honey
    ½ teaspoon of olive oil
    ½ teaspoon of Vaseline
    1 spoon to mix
    1 small container

• Directions:

Mix the honey and sugar. Add Vaseline and mix well. Add olive oil and mix well. Put into container to store. Each batch should be good for one week.

• How To Use:

Take a dime size amount of scrub and rub gently onto dry lips. Gently rub until some of the sugar has dissolved. Rinse well with warm water. Apply lip balm as necessary. Use twice a week and your lips should be silky soft.

add a comment (19) Permalink PIN IT

1. Love that you’re sharing this. I use a similar mix of sugar, olive oil and honey. Why add the Vaseline though?

HAYLEY M. COLLINS | 02.08.2012 | Reply
  2. @Hayley: Ditto – Vaseline? How about pure organic Shea Butter instead?

3. an even easier technique/recipe is to just mix on the back of your hand a drop or two of olive oil with a little bit of sugar. apply to lips straight from your hand and then massage the rest of the mixture into your hands. rinse with water but your lips and hands and you have not only moisturized lips, but also hands!

i think the vaseline is to solidify the mixture so that it isn’t a gooey mess. shea butter would probably work. i think it’s important to mention that this type of product has an expiration date of 1-2 weeks depending on how warm and humid it is. that’s why i prefer fresh preparation – no chance of bacteria or mold growing in it.

kate | 05.16.2012 | Reply
  4. Is the olive oil necessary?

Shamima | 05.24.2012 | Reply
  5. I just tried Kate’s method of a few drops of olive oil and sugar. Feels great!
    But I will try this recipe as well and see how I like it. Thanks for sharing!

6. If I stick it in the fridge will it last longer? Or will that just mess up the consistency?

Annabelle | 12.04.2012 | Reply
  7. Oily skin: geranium, rosemary, sandalwood, juniper, mandarin, ylang ylang,
    cedarwood, tea tree, lemon. Glycolic acid is on the frontier of skin care.
    There was no such thing as creams or procedures that were available.

8. can i use extra virgin olive oil?

t.lee | 02.24.2013 | Reply
  9. Why does it only last a week. Sugar, olive oil, honey, vaseline all last longer than a week unrefrigerated. Just curious..

Olivia | 03.28.2013 | Reply
    • I am wondering the same thing. All of the ingredients in this are shelf-stable. I need to make sure the recipe I use is shelf-stable for a longer term than a week or 2 because I want to use them as party favors.

Anna | 04.11.2013 | Reply
  10. I will be using mustard oil instead of olive oil, hoping that’s not a problem?

Yumna | 04.13.2013 | Reply
  11. yes, i’m suprised by the use of vaselin, petroleum jelly is anything but natural. that and baby oil are two sneaky products that people think are safe, but are actually toxic to the system. the famous Dr. Oz warns women that spreading petroleum jelly products on their lips leads to accidental consumption, which is “essentially the same as drinking gasoline.” yum! i’ve used the sygar and oil scrub on my hands – and would probably just use the same for my lips. just mix enough to use at that moment, and that way there’s none leftover to worry about it going rancid.

jamie | 09.17.2013 | Reply
    • Jamie – Totally agree! Vaseline is not a great product to use. I melt a small amount of coconut oil on the back of my hand, sprinkle on some raw sugar and apply in gentle circles on my lips. Full disclosure: I might be a coconut oil addict ;)

12. im gonna try this out. minus the petrolium jelly…it grosses me out :x

brenna | 11.11.2013 | Reply
  13. Can I like use it daily? And does this lip scrub helps to remove dark spots on my lips? I had this small wound at the corner of my lips and now it left a really ugly and dark spot at the corner of my lips. Could you please suggest some healthy/beauty products that can help me remove the dark spot?

KasKas | 11.18.2013 | Reply
    • Hi Kas Kas, we recommend using the scrub once or twice a week and seeing how your skin reacts. The scar will fade – keep it moisturized, protected from the sun, and make sure to exfoliate to generate new skin cells!

The Chalkboard | 11.18.2013 | Reply
  14. Love this! I’ve been suffering from chapped lips this winter. I’ve been looking for an easy recipe that would call for simple things I already have laying around the house. A lot of homemade sugar scrubs call for coconut oil which isn’t something that I have laying around. This sugar/honey scrub left my lips feeling very smooth. It tastes good too ;)

Andrea | 01.28.2014 | Reply