Toxic Timeout Ingredient Focus: Imidazolidinyl Urea

WHAT IS IT? Imidazolidinyl urea is a formaldehyde-releasing preservative used in cosmetics and as a biocide in shampoos and other hair products. It is one of the most widely used preservative systems in the world and is incorporated into almost all water-based cosmetics, toiletries, lotions and pharmaceutical preparations. Imidazolidinyl urea is often found in products labeled as ‘hypoallergenic’.

HEALTH RISK: Can cause allergic reactions and contact dermatitis, headaches and eye damage. It also irritates mucous membranes and is linked to joint and chest pain, depression, headaches, fatigue, dizziness, immune dysfunction and is a known human carcinogen. In other words, this is one toxic ingredient you may want to avoid putting on and in your body!

non-toxic ALTERNATIVES we love:To achieve great-looking hair without the toxic suds, use brands that are committed to using ingredients as clean as they make you feel. We love the all-natural, but effective shampoos by Rahua, but there are a slew of natural hair care products out there. Read those labels and find a brand that works best for your hair type.

Bottom banner image
From our friends