Whether your team won or lost this weekend, everyone can get behind these fool-proof tacos by Alex Thomopoulos from Against The Grain. Add a few of these to-die-for cucumber agave cocktails to the mix and you’ve got the perfect recipe for a Taco Tuesday to either celebrate your victory or soothe those losing blues.
Vegetarian Gluten Free Tacos + Agave Margarita with Cucumber Egg White Foam
- Taco Ingredients
For the tacos:
2 portabella mushrooms; coarsely chopped
1 large onion; quartered
2 carrots; coarsely chopped
1 poblano pepper; seeded and chopped
3 garlic cloves
1 T cumin
1/2 T chili powder
1 sweet potato; diced into small cubes
1 bell pepper; diced
2 T olive oil
1/2 T salt
For the vegan cheese:
1 C Raw cashews
1/4 C water
2 T fresh lemon juice
2 T Nutritional yeast
1 T Tahini sauce
1 1/2 t sea salt
1 garlic clove
2 t onion powder
For the garnish:
Rice wine vinegar
- Taco Instructions
For the vegan cheese:
Pre-soak cashews for 4-6 hours in warm water. Drain. In a blender add soaked cashews and rest of ingredients; blend until smooth. VOILA. Vegan Cheese.
For the tacos:
In a food processor, combine onion, poblano pepper, and carrots. Add a pinch of salt. Pulse until all ingredients are almost smooth. Remove the coarse paste and set in a bowl. Next add chopped mushrooms to the food processor, add another pinch of salt and pulse until coarsely chopped. You want the mushrooms to resemble ground meat, so don’t get blend it too much.
Remove and add the mushrooms to a separate bowl.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add the cumin and chili and let it fry for about 30 seconds.
Next add the onion mixture and cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until the water has cooked out and it starts to get a little brown. Next add the mushroom mixture and cook for another 10 minutes. Make sure all the water has cooked out and you are getting some good color on the veggies.
Remove and set aside.
Wipe out your skillet and add fresh oil. Heat over medium heat and add the diced sweet potato, and bell pepper. Saute until nice and crispy. Season with a pinch of salt and then add mushroom and veggie mixture back into the pan and let the flavors marry for about 2-3 minutes.
When ready to assemble place your “meat” in a warmed corn tortilla, top with fresh cabbage slaw, radishes and avocados. Drizzle the vegan cheese over squeeze fresh lime juice over it and enjoy!
- Margarita IngredientsServes 1-2cucumber juiceegg white1.5 - 2.5 teaspoons liquid stevia2 shot tequila blanco3/4 shot agave1 shot fresh lime juice
- Margarita InstructionsFill a cream whipper 2/3 full with equal parts cucumber juice,stevia and egg whites. Charge with CO2 and chill.Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the tequila, agave, and lime juice.Strain into a glass filled with ice.Top with foam.Cheers!
Sounds delis! I’m still searching for a brand of GF tortilla that my family will like. Do you recommend any particular brands that function and taste good? Thanks!
Hi Stephanie, we love Ezekiel brand, as well as Udi’s! Your local Whole Foods or natural foods store should have a great selection. Let us know how they turn out! xo
Just made these tacos today! They were great except there are few pieces from this post:
1. Your recipe calls for garlic and rice wine vinegar but you do not state when and how to use them. I assumed the garlic got pressed into the “meat” and totally forgot the rice wine vinegar since it was not mentioned.
2. Your picture shows cilantro, jalepeno, and scallions, all of which were not in the recipe or directions. I would have loved to add scallions and cilantro but didn’t think of it.
3. You did not state how long to cook the sweet potato and red bell peppers. Although not difficult to assume, one can easily mistaken the lack of time allotment for only a few minutes and end up with raw potatoes.
Thank you for a great idea.
***”a few pieces missing”