Confession: Calamari always looks delish. Something about the snacky salty crunchiness just makes the deep fried squid look soooo appealing. No? Well now, if you and I are on the same wavelength here, try Eggplant Calamari. I’ll say no more… (Well, I will, but just to give you the recipe!)
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup ground flaxseed
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Place the eggplant strips in a flat bowl or tray. Pour the olive oil, balsamic and garlic powder on top so that the eggplant is submerged.
3. Pour ground flax seed on a plate. Taking one eggplant strip out of the mixture at a time, and allowing excess liquid to drip off back into the eggplant bowl, lay the moistened eggplant in the ground flax seed and turn over once so that the eggplant is completely covered on both sides.
4. Slice eggplant in halve lengthwise. Slice each halve into skinny french fry shaped strips. Allow eggplant to sit and marinate for 10 minutes.
5. Place each covered strip onto a baking tray.
6. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Add your favorite dipping sauce or whatever! I ate with fresh avocado and sun dried tomatoes.
NO WORDS. Again… I’ll say no more.
looks good, but I’m pretty sure step #4 should actually be #2.
I agree with Tara