Chef Paola of Two Peas, a gourmet delivery service that serves up healthy meals to many a celebrity home, shares her own take on nachos! Perfect for lunch, light dinner, kids’ snacks and your guests!
Steak & Watermelon “Nachos”
Make sure all your veggies are washed!
Ingredients for the Steak:
- 1LB Fillet Mignon (trimmed silver skin)
- Pinch TO TASTE of: Cumin, Red Chili Flakes, Coriander, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Kosher salt and cracked pepper.
- 1 tsp grape seed Oil
Steak Method of Preparation:
1. On a very hot skillet drizzle grape seed oil and place steak on pan. Sear each side carefully for 2 min on each side for medium. Drain the darkened oil and add new drizzle if necessary.
2. Once golden and nicely crusted on each side, remove onto plate with paper towel to hold the drippings.
3. Let it rest about 15 minutes and slice and dice. Save diced steak in a bowl. Clean your station.
Ingredients for the Watermelon Salsa & Final Touches:
- 2 ½ inch thick slices of seedless watermelon (cut into SMALL cubes)
- 1 ear of corn (remove kernels from cob)
- ¼ onion small diced & caramelized on a grill pan
- ½ diced jalapeno (leave the seeds for extra heat!)
- 1 large garlic clove finely minced to a paste (hate to bump into big pieces of garlic!)
- juice of 1 freshly squeezed lime. (Make sure it nice and juicy when you purchase)
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco
- fresh chopped cilantro to taste. Your call.
- salt and pepper to taste. Your call, too.
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, drizzled
- 3 brown rice tortillas (wheat free-gluten free)
- 1 cup shredded iceberg or baby romaine
- lime wedges
- 1 cup of Cooked Red Beans or any Cooked Beans
Watermelon Salsa Method of Preparation:
1. Blister the corn, waiting about 30 second before adding the onions, jalapeno and garlic sauté for about 1 minute or so. Cool them down in the fridge.
2. Combine the rest of the ingredients into the bowl and very gently fold in blistered corn. Let it refrigerate for a bit.
3. Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray light Pam over tortillas and season with salt and pepper. Let them bake until crispy and golden, about 8 minutes. Check your oven!
4. Shred the washed and dried romaine lettuce.
Place lettuce on plate. Top with a generous amount of diced steak (5 oz is good for a lunch). Spoon over the delicious watermelon salsa. Top with a nice handful of baked crisps and squeeze that lime to taste. I like to add fiber to this dish by serving with a side of beans. Any bean goes well with this delicious steak salad. I like to pair it with red beans this time.