Raw Garlic Is A Natural Remedy For Fighting Colds And Flus
9.27.12

Most of us love a little roasted garlic in our Italian food, but taking a few cloves straight and raw? That is a whole different story!

During cold and flu season, one popular folk remedy is to eat a spoonful of raw, chopped garlic cloves – or even to gnaw right on a fresh clove! We want to know, if a clove of raw garlic could knock out your cold – would you or wouldn’t you?

Garlic is a powerful antioxidant with antimicrobial, antiviral and antibiotic properties. For colds and flus, it also provides decongestant and expectorant effects. While none of garlic’s components have been isolated by science as the sole explanation for garlic’s flu-busting effects, vitamin C, a slew of enzymes, and minerals such as sulphur and selenium, definitely play a role.

Crushing fresh garlic – whether through chopping and letting minced garlic rest, or by chomping down on a clove with your own teeth – causes a chemical reaction that releases allicin. Allicin is a powerful antibacterial only present shortly after garlic is crushed and before it is heated! Eating fresh garlic in this state is purported to knock out that terrible feeling associated with the onset of a cold or flu. Some experts even recommend eating a clove or two every 3 to 4 hours until the bug is entirely knocked out!

There are two methods we find most often recommended:

No Holds Barred: This is as old-fashioned and potent as it gets: pop a whole clove of garlic and munch away. Definitely not for the faint of heart! May we suggest that folks with sensitive stomachs do not try this method on an empty stomach. One variation to this simple method is especially helpful for sore throats: take just a slice of the clove and suck on it for 15 minutes, letting the juices work their magic on any pain!

Garlic With Training Wheels: The other more palatable method is to crush up to two cloves and let the minced garlic rest for about 15 minutes, letting the garlic’s enzymes activate. Add honey (also healing) or a touch of olive oil (some say it neutralizes the smell) to the minced garlic and top a small slice of bread or cracker with the mix. Bomb’s away!

Some members of our staff swear by this effective – if not anti-social – method.  Have you tried it? Or will you be trying it this winter? We want to know what you think and hear your tips and trials for getting the most out of this powerful remedy!

1. I made special “immunity” honey with raw honey, lemon slices, fresh ginger and garlic. Put it in your tea or your oatmeal!

Caroline | 09.27.2012 | Reply
  2. I love a clove of garlic, sliced very thin and place between two apple slices! Works like a charm.

3. Great ideas! Garlic can be tricky…

The Chalkboard Team | 09.27.2012 | Reply
  4. A roommate instructed me: clove of garlic + spoonful of honey. Down the hatch.
    Do we really need to chew the thing?
    I’ll also do a few spoonfuls of apple cider vinegar.

MoBeta | 09.28.2012 | Reply
  5. I have toast with slices of tomato and finely chopped garlic.

Miriam | 09.28.2012 | Reply
  6. P.S.
    The “toast” would be non-wheat or sprouted crackers.

Miriam | 09.28.2012 | Reply
  7. Chopped and swallowed like pills. It ain’t bad!

• thanks bro, that is the best.. cut a clove of garlic into two and take it like a painkiller with half glass of water

• This was so helpful! My 11 year old and I chewed it the first time…torture. I cut it up to pill size the 2nd time and we both agree it was completely bearable. Thanks!

Trish | 03.10.2014 | Reply
        • So glad you found a way that worked for you both, Trish!

The Chalkboard | 03.11.2014
  8. I caught a cold after a 12 hour flight from tel aviv to JFK.
    I the had to jump right to work, with little rest. The second day I worked for 15 hours more or less straight (it was miserable). Due to various factors I couldn’t get to bed before midnight the past week.

I took 1-2 cloves of minced garlic with a spoon of honey per day for 6 days, and after two days I felt the bodily pain, lack of focus, and runny nose begin to vanish.
    Way amazes me, is that the garlic basically mingle handedly got me back on my feet, even though I was getting little sleep, and couldn’t adord to take time off work.

9. I just watched my friend eat two big fat cloves with nothing else just a bit of pepsi to chase it down.
    I was amazed, you could not get me to do that.

Christine | 03.07.2013 | Reply
    • Chasing something so healthy with a cancer causing beverage seems a little counter-productive no? haha!

Athena | 11.14.2013 | Reply
  10. I had a cold for 2 weeks. For the last 3 days I have eaten 1-3 bulbs of garlic a day- about a clove or 2 every hour for three days. Worst cold ever is gone!!!

Bear | 03.08.2013 | Reply
    • Meant to say 1-3 bulbs a day. A few cloves each hour. I pop them straight. Chew them. Scream in pain. Cry like a baby. Then repeated this torture each hour. It was worth it, though I have had to spend a lot of minty gum. Lol

Bear | 03.08.2013 | Reply
    • Glad it’s gone! It’s an intense remedy, but well worth it!

The Chalkboard | 03.11.2013 | Reply
      • Hi, You dont have to chew them and suffer that way. Yes it has to be cut, minced even if that helps, to bring out the short-lived chemical that kills the bacteria, but just cut it, let rest a few seconds and then swallow down with any liquid but soda (Just not healthy at all, the fizz and sugar … http://www.karenhurd.com health articles are wonderful … She is a Christian with a master’s degree) that you like … my fav. is V8

gerri stratton | 03.03.2014 | Reply
        • I would imagine that the chomping with one’s mouth open would aid in releasing the beneficial chemicals into the nasopharyngeal area where colds and sinus infections begin their stronghold. Breathing in through the mouth and out through the nose while holding the chomped garlic on your tongue would also help in putting the goodness where it’s needed!

Also, after a few hours of blowing your nose, run a cut piece of garlic around your nostrils (if you can handle it!) to keep on top of those cracks, it helps to prevent infection.

Cassandra Brown | 03.04.2014
      • Oh, yes, please don’t eat on an empty stomach! PS: A garlic slice applied to the gum by a tooth that aches is very effective and gets rid of the infection without antibiotics (tho see dentist anyway because the tooth may need to be removed.)

gerri stratton | 03.03.2014 | Reply
      • 3I’m dorry. Cd have written that all in one post. Just have to fo a heads up … the slice of raw g. is going to sting a lot but keep applying it on & off for awhile (15 min to half hour) and you will be AMAZED with the lack if tooth pain … that can get pretty bad so do the garlic thing before it gets so bad.

gerri stratton | 03.03.2014 | Reply
  11. I just had a couple of cloves, minced, and placed on top of tomatoes with a little cheese, basil, olive oil and balsamic. Yep, made a caprese salad for my garlic intake. I just felt the cold symptoms start this morning. Will eat again tomorrow!

12. I smash garlic cloves and put them next to the kids beds when they seem to be getting sick (we eat enough garlic in our food ) seems to work, go figure. Along with warm water with fresh lemon and honey and chicken soup made from stock from the leftover BBQ chicken. All good, they never get really sick.

Kelly | 03.24.2013 | Reply
  13. I chop up garlic finely, and swallow it with a spoonful of yogurt. It definitely helps with disguising the strong flavor.

alyssa | 04.17.2013 | Reply
  14. We do a pressed and rested garlic clove in 8 oz of broth every hour for at Lear 8 hours of the day (or as long as we’re awake, if the sickness demands napping). That plus fresh oranges seems to help immensely.

Michaela | 05.02.2013 | Reply
  15. You don’t chew it for Pete’s sake!

Just chop it small enough to swallow it, and take it like a tablet with water. A small clove can just be crushed a little, then swallow it down. Your breath is not affected, but the garlic still does its thing.

ben | 05.03.2013 | Reply
  16. Just wanted to pass it on…my husband has always had us eat a clove a garlic every 4 hours (I chop it up and chase it with water). If taken at that first hint of a sore throat, it seems to knock it out every time. In addition, my mother in law raised horses for years and several years back 2 of her mares were diagnosed with west nile virus. Vet said there really wasnt anything he could do. She gave them chopped garlic every four hours for several weeks and when the vet came back to check, there was no sign of W. N. virus in their blood. I’d like to chalk it up to the garlic. Wonderful stuff no matter which method you use as long as its raw!!

Adrianne | 05.10.2013 | Reply
  17. I had a really bad sinus infection and I read online about garlic. I took a half of a clove of Elephant garlic twice a day for two days and felt 1000 times better.

Erik | 05.16.2013 | Reply
  18. The first day I minced it and rolled it up in a piece of bread and swallowed like a horse pill. The next day I cut it into Advil sized pieces.

Erik | 05.16.2013 | Reply
  19. Garlic is perfect for colds. I have 5 children, agaes 7 – 15 yrs, they all love garlic they love to eat it raw, I started the garlic treatment after I noticed a few people getting a cold in our neighbour hood, needless to say none of my children got sick with the spring cold virus that was going around.

cyndi | 05.27.2013 | Reply
  20. Garlic really helped me this flu episode last week….apple cider vinegar too. But I Love grape fruit extract!! I am a new believer of GFSE…nasty flu like symptoms prompted me to investigate and I found mold in the house. MOLD! Not only did GFSE help with tea tree oil in a spray bottle to clean the mold and clean the air in the house, I used GFSE orally and so far seems to have helped! Love this stuff!! My wife thinks I am nutz…sigh

21. I found the best way to take the garlic is finely chopped in a spoon of apple sauce. You can’t taste it at all this way and I never get garlic breath!

Katie | 09.23.2013 | Reply
  22. The best possible way is to crush 4-5 cloves of garlic, get some V-8 juice and eat the garlic with a shot of V-8 and the taste is neutralized. make sure you have enough V-8 for each clove, if the taste is too strong add a little more V-8 in your mouth. And its never too late to eat the garlic even if its your first day sick it will cut the time sick down by half or even by the next day!

Clayton | 09.23.2013 | Reply
  23. i chase it with a shot of oj or a few slices of fruit. It burns at first but the pain disappears as soon as you eat something sweet. I find this only really works for me if I take it at the first sign of a cold, like when i’m tired for no reason and maybe have a wee bit of itch in the back of my throat.
    I totally just chomped on a garlic clove because I was on a million buses and trains yesterday. I’m not taking any chances!

24. Started feeling a cold coming on yesterday and have been swallowing crushed garlic cloves in yoghurt every few hours. Day two and still feeling a little woozy, but have a feeling I’ll be tip-top tomorrow. Not like the times when I’d be in bed for a week, fever and all, feeling like death itself.

art | 09.28.2013 | Reply
  25. I have been using this method for years. I was once on tour (as a sound engineer) and was so sick I couldn’t walk. I ate a couple cloves of garlic and within 5 minutes I was good to go and rock the show. It is my goto and to make it more appetizing I will put the garlic inside a date.

26. Started getting cold symptoms yesterday, this morning was dizzy, exhausted, sore throat, stuffed up, etc… just ate some fresh, raw garlic sliced on top of cheese and crackers for lunch. I’m already feeling 75% better! Will be making this a daily snack. :-)

Adrienne | 11.21.2013 | Reply
  27. My Dad told me to chew garlic the moment i feel cold symptoms and today I’ve had a runny nose most of the fast and felt an itch in my throat so i just did it… Omg it burns so bad but if it works, it will be worth it!

Angie | 11.24.2013 | Reply
    • Let us know if it works, Angie – and feel better!

The Chalkboard | 11.25.2013 | Reply
  28. And by”fast” i meant “day”

Angie | 11.24.2013 | Reply
  29. I started getting sick Monday night. All I had was zinc, so I started with that. The next day I started eating cloves of garlic on a bit of toasted bread. I also kept taking the zinc, took vitamin c and d3, and started in on echinacea. It’s now Thursday and I’m almost completely better. I feel that I would be, if I had started all of those things immediately though! Love this stuff!

Chelene Morley | 12.05.2013 | Reply
    • Glad you’re feeling better, Chelene!

The Chalkboard | 12.06.2013 | Reply
  30. I crush up 2-3 garlic cloves and mix it with an avocado (zinc). It helps mask the taste, but gets the garlic right into your system..with the added benefit of the avocado!

31. I’ve knocked out conjunctivitis as well as colds and sore throats with raw garlic. I get a big glass of water, mince 1 to 6 cloves (depending on the size of the clove and if I’m trying to prevent getting sick or wipe out a cold that has taken hold), let it sit for 10-15 minutes – take a drink of water, then swallow the minced garlic and then another drink of water and kind of ‘slosh’ it down. I don’t do it on an empty stomach – it makes me woozy. I like to have a banana to eat before and after. I’ve tried the honey and it ruins honey for me ;-). I like the yogurt idea… The other way to do is chop it up and put it in a dressing and put it on a salad… that disguises it pretty well. I “preach the garlic” to all and everyone all the time… I keep mints and chew gum when I’m taking it regularly. And no, the jar of chopped garlic doesn’t do it. :-)

Hav2sing | 12.20.2013 | Reply
  32. I felt a sore throat coming on which is usually the onset of a cold for me. I heard that garlic would help lessen the duration, so I took a clove of garlic and chewed it until it was emulsified in my mouth letting the juice run down my throat. It was radical, but I’m hoping it will work. All the testimonials here are encouraging. I’m planning to do it every 4 hours as I am a caterer and have to work a New Year’s Eve party in 3 days. Happy and healthy new year to each and all!

Jeannie | 12.28.2013 | Reply
    • We hope you are feeling better, Jeannie – let us know if the garlic helped!

The Chalkboard | 12.30.2013 | Reply
  33. Mom’s secret, garlic and honey.

kawthar | 12.31.2013 | Reply
  34. I like the stinging bc I just picture it killing the buggies

Amanda | 12.31.2013 | Reply
  35. I crush one or two cloves into mashed avocado and spread on a whole grain toast with a pinch of salt and eat quickly. Delicious and doesn’t bother my stomach.

dee | 01.02.2014 | Reply
  36. I’m 29 and I have been eating a raw clove of garlic every night for the past 5 years. Since I have done this, I have not had a single cold or virus. I swear by it and I preach it to all of my friends and employees but no one wants to take my advice. I literally watch everyone I work with every year come in sniffling and sneezing and they all pass around colds and flu to one another and I’ve never been phased. For anyone concerned with the smell, if you eat a clove raw daily like I do, your body adjusts and there is no smell past brushing your teeth and mouthwash (Same as you would for any other food). But there is no body odor.. No gas. You would never know I do this every night. I will do this ritual forever. To this day I drink it with a glass of water and accompany it with eating a raw avacado (my fave choice) or with se cheese. But any way you find that works for you is key. I swear by this. I’ve tried many many quirky things n my life for health & this is the only one I’ve always kept. I’ve just physically see what it does for me time again. I love it. There’s no reason not to add it to your diet.

37. i just make a small batch of salsa with a clove of garlic ,slice or green pepper , whole or half tomato and 2 slices of white onion. eat with chips and wash down with ice water which also helps sore throat

38. You said “none of garlic’s components have been isolated by science”. That is not true. The components have been isolated, and the component named Allicin is responsable for the antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and antiparasitic actions. please read the following: http://www.bashaar.org.il/files/6130.pdf

rob | 01.16.2014 | Reply
  39. Last week I was working in a dustier then usual area at work. And even though I had a mask on, still felt the familiar twinge of a sinus infection taking hold. I started taking 3 garlic cloves a day. One in the morning, one before work (I work afternoon shift) and one at night. I chop it up fairly fine, let it sit about 10 minutes and down it with a glass of water with 2 tsp of Braggs natural Apple cider vinegar. Still feel a little bit but I’m 100% better then I was a few days ago. I think once I feel better I’m going to cut back to 2 cloves a day. Love that garlic is also so inexpensive! Hoping the garlic/acv combo will also help me loose some weight.

Jean | 01.16.2014 | Reply
  40. I’ve been eating pickled garlic for years, ever since the old Olive Oil seller at the farmer’s market convinced me it would make me live forever. I always take a couple cloves at the first twinge of a cold and then ever 4 hours or so after until it’s gone. I eat a lot of garlic in general- but I wonder, if it’s pickled, is it still considered raw? It’s really a tasty treat pickled. I love it.

Wendy | 01.31.2014 | Reply
  41. I’m still a little sick but I think the raw garlic thing didnt work as well this time because i cut them to pre peel them which caused all of the good asillin compound to air out. I noticed the garlic not stinking/stinging so much, unfortunately thats the ticket. If its not highly pungent and freshly peeled then its not as effective.

Liz | 02.01.2014 | Reply
  42. I just ate a garlic clove because I have the worst cold ever but I do have a question…why did my stomach hurt after I ate it and also I breastfeed my one year old..will it affect her in any way? Anyone please help me…

tania | 02.10.2014 | Reply
  43. Been having the flu on & off for the past few weeks, sore throat, stuffy nose, headaches etc… Last night chewed a clove of garlic and today for the whole day been having a runny nose. Is this a sign of the cold coming out or could it be that I’m allergic to garlic?? Would appreciate your help/comments.

Costas | 02.11.2014 | Reply
    • Hi Costas, this is probably a symptom of the flu you’ve been having. Good news if the mucous is starting to move its way out!

The Chalkboard | 02.11.2014 | Reply
  44. My dad would swallow a small clove of garlic whenever he’d get a cold. My husband is now doing so as well. But, somehow, even though I know it works, I can’t seem to do it. BTW, once my husband starts to sweat, the garlic gives him a whole new stink. UGH!

Fabiola | 02.27.2014 | Reply
  45. I came down with a cold yesterday after flying. I made Lebanese garlic sauce with canola oil and lemon juice. That has a ton of raw garlic. Hope the canola oil won’t change the garlic’s ability to do what it’s supposed to do! I just ate it with some blue tortilla chips.

46. I really like the taste of garlic, *weird*. Can chew up a glove no problem =)

Mike | 03.05.2014 | Reply
  47. I really like the taste of garlic, *weird*. Just pop in a garlic clove with a cayenne pepper and you’re set =)

Mike | 03.05.2014 | Reply
  48. I don’t mind chewing the garlic too much. I usually crunch down and store it under my tongue and move it around my gums with each slight bite. It seems to work immediately with the onset of a cold as far as sinus or sore throat issues are concerned. This does need repeated frequently to offset the symptoms. I believe this works twofold….issues are occurring in the throat and nose so it’s close proximity and I’ve heard that holding meds, such as garlic, in the mouth make this a more direct route to the bloodstream. Sometimes it’s too stingy to bare and I can’t hold it any longer, but usually when it comes to illnesses I’m far more of a wuss about dealing with chronic cold symptoms over a brief torture session. Just the way I handle things I guess.

Susan | 03.06.2014 | Reply
  49. As a person who is into the homeopathic and naturopathic ways of treating illnesses (interest only. I am not a doctor), I am a firm believer in the healing properties of garlic. I eat raw garlic as often as I can, more so when I have been ill. I fell ill with a stomach bug a few years ago and I did not have any appetite. The only thing that I could really bring myself to eat was yogurt. I ate some raw garlic and I felt the the nausea instantly go away. I also ate raw garlic when I had a head cold. Eating raw garlic has helped me to recover faster from illnesses.

Callie | 03.14.2014 | Reply
  50. Eating raw garlic is no joke .but it does work and it very cheap, easy to raise, i fine it’s helps with a lots of other things that may have attacked of body
    have a very blessed day .
    Evang. Myhand.

Evang. Jessie M. Mhyhamd | 03.16.2014 | Reply
  51. Had a cold so bad I ended up on my in pain reached for my phone and found this site you saved me.

Cameron Spencer | 03.20.2014 | Reply
  52. I am having running nose from last 4 years , tried a lot but have no result than i swallow two garlic a day and it works i am having a clear nose with in seven days,thanks god for garlic.

Manas | 04.03.2014 | Reply
  53. after reading all the comments from this site, it convinced me to crush 2 cloves of garlic and swallow it raw. I have runny nose and “mucus-y” throat and I don’t want to take any meds yet. When i put the garlic in my mouth, it was like my throat started to close and I can’t seem to swallow it. I tried to rinse it down with water but I coughed, some of the garlic still remained in mouth and tiny bits of it passed through my nasal passage. I felt instant relief when it got to my nose. After I swallowed it, I got nauseous but I saved my effort by taking teasepoonful of sugar Only after 15 minutes I feel a whole lot better! I plan to do this again after 4 hours. Therefore, “hey throat! get used to it!”

54. I love the taste of garlic and I am well-known for it at home. I regularly use garlic powder during meals and it burns but I’m sure that it doesn’t have the same health benefits as raw garlic. Anyway, I had only slept a total of about 8 hours this past weekend (4hr friday+saturday night) because I very busy catching up and drinking with friends. Well I woke up with a terrible sore throat on Sunday morning and seem to have come down with one of the fastest progressing and most aggressively painful colds. I wanted raw garlic yesterday but I finally picked some up today. I peeled it a clove and straight into my mouth.. I very slowly worked away at it (approx 2 hours) with my teeth to keep a constant burn going while intermittently breathing-in deeply through my mouth and out of my nose. Boy did it have a strong positive effect: my nose is no longer stuffy (this was remedied quickly) and my throat pain is almost unnoticeable. I will eat another clove before bed and see if I can finally get some sleep tonight since Sunday night I was unable to sleep as I felt close to death.

Adam | 04.07.2014 | Reply
  55. I couldn’t take OTC products while pregnant, at least ones that would “work”, and I had one of the worst ear and sinus infections I’d ever had (I really wanted to avoid anti-biotics too). I heard about crushed garlic, so I did some buttered toast with crushed garlic (three times per day). Worked like a charm, in three days my sinus infection was almost gone.

Hannah | 05.07.2014 | Reply
  56. I have a bad sore throat I at 1 clover and now I feel better That’s really help, it’s better than raw onion.

abodora | 05.23.2014 | Reply
  57. What works best for me is cutting a clove in half and putting one half in each cheek. I suck on em for a few minutes then crush (don’t totally chew up!) the halves between my molars and let the juices drip to the back of my throat. I’ve tried a few methods and this one definitely works the best for me, although not for the faint of heart (or stomach)!

Ash | 05.26.2014 | Reply
  58. Hi all, I felt the cold/flu symptoms coming on and got crushed raw garlic and ate it with my meal. The next day all symptoms were gone …… Excellent I recommend it!!!!

• Love the testimonial, DaPaul. Glad to hear you’re feeling better!

The Chalkboard | 05.30.2014 | Reply
  59. Went to bed with a 101 fever, weak body, watery eyes, headache, sneezing….woke up feeling like I could head to the gym! I feel completely restored!

60. I chopped a Poo full a.d waited 10 minutes and swallowed piece by piece with orange juice! It knocked out my fever from night til morning!

61. I have a daily habit of eating raw garlic whether I’m feeling sick or not. What I do is chop it up, sometimes letting it sit for about 10 minutes, sometimes I eat it right then. I chop up 3 cloves and eat them with a spoon of peanut butter. Believe it or not, the two flavors go well together and I actually enjoy it. My roommate has been fighting a sinus infection for nearly a week. I started having a sinus infection too a couple days ago, but I’m already getting better and she is still fighting the infection. She has a lot of lung congestion. I have no lung congestion. I am convinced this is due to the raw garlic I eat.

Stacy | 07.03.2014 | Reply
  62. I eat 4-5 cloves of garlic a day diced or mashed, let sit in air for a few minutes, put between 4 thin slices of apple and presto! Two sandwiches. I love the taste of garlic and I don’t feel the burn since I drink a teaspoon of cayenne with ginger slices plus a dash of lemon juice in hot water every morning in place of coffee. Great energy drink and shall I say, quite spicy to the newcomer, just start slow. Can’t go wrong with garlic and you will grow to love the taste, trust me.

George | 07.26.2014 | Reply
  63. I use raw garlic when I start getting a cold. What I do is minceup a couple of clove and put a pair of socks on after putting the garlic on the souls of my feet.? Within 5 minutes its on my breath. Its fantastic. Halves colds and gets rid of other chest infections.

catherine | 08.12.2014 | Reply
  64. IT REALLY WORKS!!!!! I gotten the flu from one of my family members who passed it to everyone else and finally I passed it to my husband. We ate a clover of fresh garlic every other hour and within a couple hours we were feeling like nothing ever happened. I know what’s my go to cure for the winter season.

65. Had a nasty cold start last night with bad sinus pressure (ears and teeth aching). Just finished my second clove. Will see what happens…

Annie | 09.13.2014 | Reply
  66. I can definitely vouch for garlic effectiveness. Works better than any over the counter medicine without subscription. Albeit the anti social part is true as well D:. So i only resolve to it when i am either really sick or need to get better really quick.

Kipras | 09.28.2014 | Reply
  67. Started with a sore throat 3 days now,no better horrible hacky cough,wheezing, fever,don’t like drs or meds, so came across thus article at 3am,as l always have garlic,in the kitchen;) thank God,took a fresh glove peeled with the back of spoon crushed a little took small pieces swallowed then sucked on the other piece 10-15 min..I was in so much pain with the throat hurting coughing, headache. I’m AMAZED ” W/l minutes I hacked up darned yellow junk, pain in throat left..yhelp I smell like an Italian restaurant, but I’m better….LM truly a believer… Its astounding what the garlic did…lM from down south ,N/S Carolinas, I remember my mom saying something about wearing a necklace of raw garlic around your neck for colds… Better yet chop up small fresh pieces garlic swallow.. And suck on a large piece..10_15 min..works wonders..thank you for the post..God Bless,happy and healthy again in the Midwest. MgR…;) oh’ and No Doctors!!!!

myrtle grebelak | 09.30.2014 | Reply
  68. Chewing on a piece of garlic as i read your blog, great post! I have always believed in Garlic and often make a large batch of Roaster Garlic Soup for fighting colds in the Winter. As Head Gardener we grow our own garlic and it seems even stronger than the shop bought bulbs. Currently using Garlic to fight of a sore throat and the start of a cold. Appreciate this article very informative.

69. Just a quick question. When u say clove, u mean that one bit of the whole bulb, right? There is a lot of confusion on the word clove because where I come from, a clove is the whole bunch!!

A.D. | 10.09.2014 | Reply
    • Hi A.D, yes, one of the little sections in the whole bulb!

The Chalkboard mag | 10.09.2014 | Reply
  70. yeah but what do you do about the taste in your mouth the rest of the day?

Kristine | 10.17.2014 | Reply
  71. I used to eat a clove or three of garlic at the first sign of a cold. Chopped or mashed (a little salt helps) into a paste. Let it sit for a few minutes to develop. Then spread on buttered cheap bread, which I usually rolled up.

P`tar | 11.05.2014 | Reply