7.10.17
Microblading

A face tattoo by any other name would be a seriously bad idea. But we’ve seen the results of microblading up close and personal and we have to admit, it looks pretty great.

Perfectly crafted eyebrows are the one feature that makes our faces look noticeably more balanced, even when we’re not wearing any other makeup. The idea of having them perfectly full and ready to rock without touching a single product is just plain thrilling. But is a semi-permanent solution worth it?

We thought the conversation about microblading would be a perfect fit for our Would You or Wouldn’t You series where we explore odd wellness topics and fringe habits. Learn all about microblading with this article from Our Body Book, then tell us what you think…

We’re digging deep on the hottest trend to elevate your brows. Enter, Microblading—a process similar to permanent makeup, that promises natural-looking, fuller, sexy brows in a flash!

Color us intrigued!

Although we have yet to sample this procedure, we’re sure it’s soon to be a cult favorite (not to mention a hit with brides and post-baby hair loss suffers).

BUT FIRST, WHAT IS MICROBLADING?

According to Wikipedia, Microblading is a form of permanent makeup that partially or fully camouflages missing brow hair with simulated hair composed of pigment deposits, similar to a tattoo.

THE PROCEDURE

The Microblading technique involves gently pricking the skin with a 7-14 hand-held prong blade (similar to a pen) to fill in the brows with natural-looking, strokes of color. The process typically begins by customizing your eyebrow color and drawing in your desired shape to suit your bone structure. After your desired shape has been outlined with a surgical pen, a numbing cream is applied and allowed to set for 20 minutes. Next, your brow building begins using the needling (tattooing) technique by the dipping the microblade pen in your desired pigment and creating natural brush strokes across your brows.Your appointment ends with a soaking technique to set your color.

Touch-up appointments are usually customary, two to four weeks after you initial appointment to adjust and set your new color.

THE BENEFITS

Microblading allows a trained professional to draw individual, natural crisp hair strokes that are customized to suit your face shape, brow shape and coloring.

Microblading differs from earlier forms of brow tattooing because the needles are extremely fine in diameter and advancements in cosmetic tattooing now allow for a more natural, relaxed appearance (versus the harsh and scary brows of years ago).

Minimal to no discomfort is often reported, with the procedure averaging at about $300-600. Results typically last for 2-5 years.

As with any permanent or semi-permanent procedure, be sure to seek consultations with only trained technicians who specialize in this technique.

As we mentioned, we’re intrigued and may give this procedure a try. What about you? If you you’re thinking about getting microblading or have already gone through the procedure, please sound off below.

1. I just had it dine. I was freaked out at first because of how bold and dark it looked but after two touch ups, I’m in love with my brows The color settles down and looks incredibly real. I’ve had thin brows for a while now and am so excited to have nice eye brows!

Jen | 07.10.2017 | Reply
  2. Awesome.absolutely love them.

Sheryl | 07.10.2017 | Reply
  3. Awesome.absolutely love them.

Sherylcrews | 07.10.2017 | Reply
  4. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! I found an amazing person who does beautiful work. As a guy I just wanted a few simple strokes to fill in missing areas. I thought she was a bit pricey so I found someone who did good work who charged half the price. BIG MISTAKE trying to save money. I’m beyond pissed. She was heavy handed and gave me new brows. My sneaky attempt to lightly enhance my brows turned into this conversation piece when I enter a room. My $350 brows has turned into an additional $900 correction. I should of spent the $700 in the beginning because her work is amazing. I learned my lesson. They look better now but not what I wanted at all. My appearance was altered and I hate it

5. I’m looking forward to do it, but don’t know anyone who can do it, any recommendations please 🙂

Marisa | 07.10.2017 | Reply
  6. I had my brows done after a great deal if research! Very pleased with outcome! I love my brows now!

Brandy Conklin | 07.10.2017 | Reply
    • Brandy who did you use and what was the cost

Patricia Greaves | 07.11.2017 | Reply
  7. Would like to get my brows done.. but dont have anyone i know.. any. Refferals

Sylvia | 07.11.2017 | Reply
  8. I highly suggest you spend the extra money and hire a professional. I had mine done and she reshaped my brows that didn’t need to be done. I like them ok but could have found a better person.

Rhonda Miller | 07.11.2017 | Reply
  9. I have already done it. I am so happy! I have scars and i was missing eyebrows. I can get ready for work so much faster now!

10. I did it and will do it again when it fades! So pleased with the result! Definitely make sure you find someone who does quality work and don’t just seek out a deal. It’s on your face after all.

11. I’m thinking about getting the micro-blading brows, my sister had it done and they look awesome.

Judy zeller | 07.11.2017 | Reply
  12. I’m thinking of getting mine done where did you go how much was it would you reccomend them .

Patricia Greaves | 07.11.2017 | Reply
  13. I had my eyebrows microbladed in April, with a complimentary touch-up in June. Needless to say, I was ecstatic with both appointments. I was an over plucked, since the age of 18-my 90210 days. I went in with high expectations to look as normal as possible again, make-up free. All I can say is, my girl, superseded my expectations. It is the BEST investment, I have ever made in myself. I wish I would have done this before my wedding, what a game changer this would have been. Definitely do it, with a well researched/known person. It’ll be the best money you’ll ever spend on yourself.

Marizza V Romero | 07.11.2017 | Reply
  14. Ask for your microbladers body art license*, it’s highly likely they dont have one. DO YOUR RESEARCH. Or someone who paid thousands of dollars for a 3 day class will ruin your face forever.

Ava | 07.11.2017 | Reply
  15. I’m a professional makeup artist and I’ve seen my share of both traditionally tattooed and micro bladed brows. I my option both are a bad idea unless you have zero brows. Tradition tattoos looks the worse of the two and age terrible. Microblading isn’t far behind on the terrible scale. Even though the blades are thinner the strokes are still larger than actual hair. They often fade unevenly and are too dark. I have to fix either the color or shape of every tattooed or microbladed brow I’ve come across. Also trends change and huge brows won’t be in fashion forever. Choose wisely b/c fixing isn’t always easy or possible.

Kelly | 07.12.2017 | Reply
  16. I love my micro bladed brows. they are super natural, and still allow me to fill in more for a bolder look if that’s what I want. I couldn’t be happier with my brow artist either – she spent over an hour of adjusting and redrawing my shape to make sure the shape was exactly what I wanted before she started her work.

natalie | 07.13.2017 | Reply
  17. I can recommend Antoinette @PermaTech Makeup in Simi Valley CA, outskirts of LA just northwest of the San Fernando Valley. She’s the owner & I love my brows.

18. Just had my follow up appt to adjust color and fill a few spots that didn’t take. Love my brows. I look more awake and refreshed even right out of bed or straight from Crossfit. Minimal discomfort to the procedure. Healing was pretty quick. My aesthetician was amazing. Find someone who listens to you and you feel you can trust. And use sunscreen every day to keep them looking beautiful.

Theresa | 07.13.2017 | Reply
  19. Curious–how weird do you look right after it’s done, and how long does that last? My understanding is that the initial work looks pretty crazy, then it fades and can look great.

Elizabeth | 07.14.2017 | Reply
  20. This was my second time after 8 years apart. This is a game changer for a 63 year old white skinned woman. Now I have my brows that you can see and eye liner done too. It’s hard to do eyeliner when you wear bifocals. I do it in DEnver where my girlfriends go. It’s worth it to me

Karen Jean Steward Smith | 07.14.2017 | Reply
  21. I do microblading and love this job. I read all the comments and like to hear that the most from you are happy with the results. Because I do microblading for more than 15 years I could see how the technology improved over the years. My goal was to find a technique where I can give my customers really natural eyebrows, so good that no one immediately sees that they were pigmented. Today I am lucky that I did find a tool where I have the natural results and much more benefits for my customers and me. I use a natural white Sapphire to draw eyebrows and for me it is the best tool ever. Hope this tool will find his way on the microblading market. My customers are really happy yet and I love it.

22. I’d love to have the procedure done and I’d do it in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Maybe some day!

Susan Chappell | 07.16.2017 | Reply
  23. I had it done 30 days ago and I couldn’t be happier. The first 2 weeks after the procedure require that you keep them dry and out of the sunlight. I live in So Florida so that was difficult, but once they scabbed and flaked they were perfect! One less application to do and no worries of my eyebrows melting off my face in this heat and humidity!

Nicole Hogan | 07.17.2017 | Reply
  24. I am interested in learning more about this procedure and if favorable, I would love to try it.

25. I read that scarring is a result of micro blading so I canceled my appointment until I can learn more.

Dianne | 07.17.2017 | Reply
  26. Took the plunge in May and absolutely LOVE my brows now. I had old-school tattoo ‘hairs’ done at a cosmetic treatment convention and the lines widened & turned a funky dark grey color in about 2-years. I researched extensively and booked with an artist who was completely book for 8-months. She was worth the wait. With matters of the face, it does pay to go with the best.

Lisa | 07.18.2017 | Reply
  27. I have just set up an appt this Friday with a licensed tatoo artist specializing in cosmetic/medical tatooing and microblading. She does wonderful work ‘painting in’ areolas and nipples for those gals with mastectomy – will follow up 2 weeks after appt & will leave referral in the Ozarks of AR.

Crea | 07.26.2017 | Reply
  28. I know a girl here in the Dallas area and I want mine done so much….but, I just can’t afford it…I’m 64 and my brows so need it…but, I also like having electricity and water! But, this girl is amazing…and I’ve seen her work…and I could only tell they were done because I knew the people before they had it done! If you can afford it….research and get it done!!!

Debi Fraser | 07.27.2017 | Reply
  29. I could not be happier with my brows. As a cancer survivor on some not so great medication that makes my hair fall out, my brows were suffering along with my look. Even before cancer, I never had the best of brows. Over the years, they became quite thin and I probably over-plucked or over-waxed as well.
    I was overwhelmed with a feeling of ease when I chose my microblading artist after looking into it for some time. She was not only experienced but also kind and understanding about my fear of the procedure. She made magic happen and I am so glad that I do not have to put my eyebrows on when I do my makeup. In fact, I don’t feel the need to have too much makeup on. Brows frame the face and they are more than important for so many reasons. I often look at other people’s brows and I can see they are in need of a more natural look. It didn’t really hurt. The natural look is due to her freehand technique and the golden ratio. Not everyone’s brows are the same and they should not all look the same either. This is hands down one of the best things I have done for my face in ages. Seriously!

30. I’ve always found tattooing eyebrows give an unpleasant result. But now seeing the advancement of techniques in this art, it would be safe to have a go with it. And the assurance that it will last long is an added bonus! Thanks for the great read!

Join us for a weekly dose of wellness.