No gluten? No problem! All the indulgent “junk food” that you crave is really just a 30-minute healthy gluten free recipe away. Don’t believe me? Just check out my delicious recipe for the perfect chips and dip.
Do you love avocado? Join the club! Salty snacks? Me too! You will make your taste buds thank you with this recipe: perfectly nourishing chips, my special recipe for guacamole with a twist and salsa-bruschetta… All homemade, low calorie, gluten-free, vegan and delightfully satisfying!
- 2 gluten free brown rice tortillas. I used the Food For Life brand, but Trader Joe’s carries it’s own version, as well (Corn flour tortillas will work, too!)
- 1 cucumber, washed
- 1 tablespoon your favorite pesto, (gluten free vegan recipe below for those who want to make their own.)
- 2 ripened avocados
- 6 medium size tomatoes, washed
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Optional: sea salt fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups washed fresh basil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Combine all pesto ingredients in a food processor until mixture becomes a smooth and light paste.
Homemade Low Calorie Chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Meanwhile, cut the tortillas into small chip-size triangles.
3. Distribute safflower oil evenly and gently with your fingers or a brush on each side of the triangles. Sprinkle with sea salt, if you wish!
4. Bake for 7 minutes. Broil for additional 20 seconds, and then remove fresh chips from oven.
Guacamole with a Twist
1. Peel and core your avocados.
2. Mash with a masher until chunky yet smooth.
3. Lightly mix in pesto using a fork.
4. Dice the cucumber, and incorporate into the avocado mixture.
5. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper.
1. Dice tomatoes in a colander so the extra liquid drains out.
2. In a bowl, combine tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and the remaining tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
3. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper to taste.
My-oh-my, this was gobbled up so quickly. I was making seconds before I could say ‘healthy indulgence’. Good thing it only takes a half hour to make!