The weather is getting warmer—or at the very least will be soon!—and that means spring salads are on the rise. Sunny thoughts of beach days, ocean air and seaside strolls keep popping into my head. The perfect pairing with my beachy mood is this Big Kahuna Hawaiian Salad. Fresh juicy pineapple mingles with pink papaya and crispy plantain chips. A zesty sweet pineapple tahini dressing gets drizzled over top. Fluffy fresh spring greens too. And don’t forget a few salty roasted macadamia nuts as the perfect accent. Aloha!
Big Kahuna Hawaiian Salad
Vegan, serves 2
- 2 cups frisee, finely chopped
- 2 cups baby lettuce mix or baby spinach (any fave leafy green will work)
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- 1 cup chopped papaya
- 3/4 cup roasted/salted macadamia nuts
- handful of plantain chips
- fresh black pepper
*Use fresh pineapple and papaya. Chop and store the leftovers for a tropical fruit salad the next morning.
Pineapple Tahini Dressing
- 1 1/2 Tbsp tahini sauce
- 2 tsp Grade B maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp pineapple juice
1. Whisk together the dressing. Set aside.
2. Prep your fruit by chopping up your papaya and pineapple. Store the leftovers.
3. Finely chop your frisee. Place in bowl. Add baby lettuce.
4. Toss lettuce gently with 1-2 Tbsp of dressing.
5. Portion salad into two bowls.
6. Add pineapple and papaya on top of lettuce.
7. Add macadamia nuts.
8. Place plantain chips around edges of bowls.
9. Drizzle additional dressing on top and add fresh black pepper to taste.
10. Serve! Aloha! Don Ho music optional…