- WHAT IS IT?
Sodium Benzoate is a type of salt derived from Benzoic Acid and is used as a preservative in food and cosmetics. It can be found the following products: shampoos, conditioners, body wash, face and body lotions and mouthwash.
- HEALTH RISK:
If you mix sodium benzoate with vitamin C, benzene can form. And benzene is carcinogenic… Sodium Benzoate is a known neurotoxin to aquatic animals and is toxic/lethal at high doses in humans (yikes!). To top it all off, this ingredient has been linked with creating free radicals in the body, destorying mitochondrial DNA and thus adding to the body’s aging process. Readily absorbed by the skin, Sodium Benzoate’s presence in anti-aging products may, ironically, actually age you faster by damaging your DNA. Enough said!
- WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT:
If you mix sodium benzoate with vitamin C - a few popular Vitamin C skin treatments do - benzene can form. And benzene is carcinogenic.
- NON-TOXIC ALTERNATIVES:
Try Luzern Laboratories Serum Absolut. Luzern Labs' Vitamin C Serum provides Serum V12. Absolut features a rich blend of vitamins and minerals that work together to slow the formation of visible signs of aging and improve the overall appearance of the complexion. Pure vitamin C assists in the production of collagen, evens and brightens the skin's tone and protects the skin against free radical damage. Vitamins such as E, A, B3, B12 and D3 smooth and condition, reduce inflammation, improve elasticity and boost cell growth. Fine lines and wrinkles are reduced, collagen and elastin ensure firm, elastic skin and the complexion takes on a bright, even and radiant tone.
- Celebrity Health and Diet TipsAll Celebrity Health and Diet TipsRecent Stories
- Nettles, Yoga + Face Elixirs: Mornings with Supermodel Kirsty Hume
Find out what keeps supermodel, Kirsty Hume, in such glowing shape (hint: it's the nettle tea.) We're spending the morning with Kirsty and giving awa...
- 9 Women Who Are Changing The Way We Think About Wellness
It's International Women's Day and this year, we're celebrating by spotlighting a few inspiring women who are fighting fiercely for causes we believe i...
- Cleansing TipsRecent Stories
- Detox DiariesRecent Stories
- Fitness and WellBeing TipsAll Fitness and WellBeing TipsRecent Stories
- Yogi Caley Alyssa on Life Lessons From The Mat
Yoga is about flexibility, intuition and strength - both on and off the mat. We're talking to yogi Caley Alyssa about how her practice has shaped her perspectiv...
- Working Out While Pregnant: A Pro Answers Your Toughest Questions
Fitness expert and wellness-minded mama to be, Andrea Speir, is walking us though the must-knows of working out while pregnant...
- Food and NutritionAll Food and NutritionRecent Stories
- These Matcha Pancakes Are Everything We Want In The Morning
Can you even call it an obsession if you're only drinking the stuff? These matcha pancakes are everything we want in the morning. We're sharing two recipe...
- What the Heck is Aquafaba?
We're exploring a few delicious uses for aquafaba, aka the culinary vegan's new bff, including wellness lattes topped with thick foamy perfection courtes...
- Lifestyle Tips and Beauty SecretsAll Lifestyle Tips and Beauty SecretsRecent Stories
- Take A Look Inside These Stunning Homes Made With Eco Materials
Exquisite Surfaces offers a sustainability solution that don't call for choosing between eco-values and a sense of style. We're grabbing a few chic desig...
- How To Shop For Sustainable Fashion (And Not Go Broke)
The concept of sustainable fashion is important, but it shouldn't mean having to choose between a gallon of gas and a new flowy frock. Strike a balanc...
- News + EventsRecent Stories
- Pressed PeopleRecent Stories
- The Shop