While sprouts can easily be cooked up by steaming or roasting them, making them into a raw tossed salad also makes for a versatile and naturally delicious side dish. Shave brussels sprouts into thin slices, throw them in a bowl tossed with agave vinaigrette, chopped apples, dates, pecans, parsley and feta and you have a whole new way to enjoy this nutritious little vegetable.
Brussels sprouts are beyond good for you and your immune system! Here are all the healthy benefits Brussels sprouts are known to offer:
- Ability to lower cholesterol
- High fiber content (over 15% of our RDA), which helps aid in digestion, prevents overeating and maintains low blood sugar
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, including large amounts of vitamins K, C, E, A and the mineral manganese to promote healthy bones, prevent calcification of the body’s tissues and is essential for proper brain and nerve function.
- Fights – and even prevents – particular cancers including bladder, breast, colon, lung, prostate and ovarian cancer, due to glucosinolates in Brussels sprouts & their detox-activating isothiocyanates
- Very low in calories – one cup (88 grams) of raw Brussels sprouts is only 37 calories!
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Dates and Goat Cheese, serves 2-4
- 1 bag (10 oz.) shaved raw Brussels sprouts (or shave the sprouts yourself with a cheese grater)
- 1 honey crisp apple
- 2-3 Medjool dates
- Handful fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoon chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons goat's milk feta cheese
1. Prepare agave vinaigrette and set aside.**
2. On a cutting board, chop apple, dates and parsley; set aside.
3. Place shaved Brussels sprouts in a large salad bowl and toss completely with prepared vinaigrette.
4. Add chopped apple, dates, parsley, pecans and cheese.
5. Dish into salad bowls and serve immediately.
- **Agave Vinaigrette:
- 1 teaspoon raw agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper