Not only are these a great healthy dessert substitute, but they make an awesome on-the-run breakfast choice without the soporific effects of the carb-bomb pastries. They are also excellent as a post workout energy snack. See the notes at bottom to make these treats gluten-free!
Double Punch Quinoa Power Cookies
- 1/2c. organic butter
- 1/2c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten at room temp
- 1/2c. all-purpose wheat flour or alternative flour
- 1/2c. quinoa flour
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 1/2c regular oats
- 1/8 c. chopped, toasted pecans
- 1/8 c. crystalized ginger, chopped
- 1/4 c. dried cranberries
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
2. Cream the butter and brown sugar before combining the vanilla and egg and to the butter.
3. Sift the flours, salt and baking soda and fold into the butter mix. Fold in the oats, nuts, fruit and ginger.
4. Roll the dough into a log shape about 1.5” to 2” in diameter using plastic wrap. Freeze for 20 minutes or until firm enough to slice.
5. Slice into about 2 dozen 1/2” rounds. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
6. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until crispy on the outside but still moist on the inside.
*You can substitute the AP four for quinoa flour and cooked quinoa for the oats to make this recipe be gluten-free.