This salad makes an incredibly nutritious lunch or dinner for any occasion. It is one of our clients’ favorite salads – packed with protein and vegetables! The salmon gives it that extra healthy kick with its omega 3 fatty acids. You could also serve this salad with chicken or make it vegan if you prefer. The quinoa salad holds very well for two days in the refrigerator.
Cranberry Quinoa & Vegetable Salad with Charred Salmon
(Make sure all your vegetables are washed before using them)
For the Salad:
- 5 oz salmon (per person)
- 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa (chill after cooking)
- ¼ cup small diced raw red peppers
- ¼ cups small diced cucumber
- ½ cup finely chopped broccoli
- 2 tbs finely diced red onions
- ½ cup dried cranberries (rough chopped)
- ½ pint baby tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1 handful of spinach or arugula (or both if you have in hand!)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
For the Dressing:
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 medium garlic clove
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra light olive oil
- S&P to taste
Method of Preparation
1. Combine all the chopped and diced vegetables in a bowl with the chilled cooked quinoa.
2. Season salad with salt and pepper to taste and toss well.
3. Season the salmon with salt & pepper and sear on a very hot skillet with 1 tsp of extra light olive oil. Cook salmon for just about one minute on each side. I like my salmon slightly pink on the inside. Set aside to cool for a couple minutes. Do not refrigerate.
1. Add all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
2. Drizzle 2 tbsp of cranberry dressing into the salad and mix well.
1. Place a generous amount of raw spinach or arugula on a plate and top with quinoa salad.
2. Finish the salad with charred flaked salmon over it and drizzle dressing around salad one more time.