What’s morespringlike than a fresh, healthy salad? Well, I’d have to say this particular salad, which features a spring veggie, asparagus, and the traditional symbol of spring, the egg! This gorgeous side dish is easy, nutritious and flavorful – not to mention perfect for a sunny-day picnic, a lazy evening dinner party or even an Easter brunch.
Asparagus and Chopped Egg Salad with Lemon-Chive Dressing
Makes 4-5 servings
Total time: 10 minutes
Total hands on time: 10 minutes
What you’ll need:
- a large bunch of fresh asparagus, rinsed
- 1 hardboiled egg, chopped
- 1 tablespoon good-quality olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- good quality black pepper and sea salt (to your taste)
What you’ll do:
1. Snip the woody ends off of the asparagus and bring a pot of water to boil.
2. While the water heats, prepare a bowl of ice water.
3. Once the water is boiling, boil the asparagus for 2-6 minutes, or until it turns bright green. Then, using tongs, immediately transfer it to the ice water. This process of boiling and then cooling is called blanching.
4. Chop the egg into pieces (you can leave the yolk out, if you like).
5. Arrange asparagus on a plate and scatter egg on top.
6. Assemble dressing by combining chives, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper in a small bowl.
7. Drizzle dressing atop asparagus and egg.