4.13.18
  • Aerial shot of a glass of celery juice on a wooden table with blurred celery sticks on the left and cloth napkins on the right
  • Split photo with a bundle of celery sticks on a wooden table in the left side of picture and glass of celery juice in the right side of picture.

Water sticks, aka peanut butter vessels, aka the most boring part of a crudite platter, celery is more of a superfood than it lets on. Following a tip from the controversial, yet enigmatic intuitive healer, the Medical Medium, holistic wellness pro, Elissa Goodman drinks a cup of celery juice every morning to help detox, improve digestion and soak up all the anti-inflamatory glory. Have you tried this? Learn why we’re thinking of following suit and sipping down celery juice daily…

Most of my clients are shocked when they hear me refer to celery as a “superfood.” To most people, celery is a snack covered in peanut butter and fed to kids or the only thing left in your glass after a bloody Mary brunch. But in reality, celery is one of my favorite superfoods — it doesn’t get the attention it deserves.

Celery has so many incredible health benefits that are only magnified by juicing. I began drinking celery juice daily as part of the thyroid recovery regimen suggested to me by the medical medium, Anthony William. After just seven days, I immediately began to feel positive digestive effects, and as time went on, I truly began to feel my gut healing.

Not only is celery high in vitamins and minerals, but it is anti-inflammatory, detoxifying and gut-friendly. So here’s why you should be sipping this unconventional green juice every morning.

Gut-boosting benefits:Gut health is such a hot topic right now… and for good reason! Your gut is connected to so many different aspects of your health, from your mood to your risk of disease. And while I’m a huge supporter of a daily probiotic regimen and can definitely join in on the fermented food craze, I’m always surprised about how often celery is overlooked as a gut healing food. It’s simple, it’s packed with nutrients, it’s cheap (!), but some of its biggest benefits stem from its ability to help those with low hydrochloric acid (HCL) levels and the related digestive issues.

Here’s the deal: HCL – otherwise known as stomach acid – helps to break down the foods you eat, specifically proteins. But when levels of HCL are low – which can happen if you have an autoimmune disease or are chronically stressed – you’ll experience some uncomfortable symptoms like indigestion, acid reflux and even IBS. Essentially, your digestive system is thrown completely out of whack, and you aren’t able to fully digest your food or absorb some of the essential nutrients from the foods you’re eating. But here’s where the healing power of celery juice comes in. Celery contains some important minerals and mineral salts that can help boost digestion, absorption and utilization of the food you eat for the remainder of the day. Plus, when consumed regularly, celery juice can help to gradually increase and restore your stomach’s HCL levels.

The benefits of celery span way beyond just the gut. From the thyroid to the liver, celery can change your health for the better. Other reasons to drink celery juice:

Thyroid cleansing: According to Anthony William, the mineral salts in celery help to fight and cleanse the body of the Epstein-Barr virus, particularly in the thyroid. Celery can also help to boost production of important thyroid hormones in those with hypothyroidism.

Liver detoxification: Celery’s detoxifying properties work to remove bad bacteria, fungi, mold, viruses and other toxins from the liver; the phytonutrients found in the green stalks also can have a protective effect.

Heart healthy: Studies have shown that celery extract consumption can help to prevent stroke, lower blood pressure, and reduce plaque in arteries.

Nervous system support: Celery is a powerhouse for supporting the nervous system. It has a calming effect on the nervous system because of its detoxify properties. It also provides support through its ability to act as a blood purifier.

Anti-inflammatory: Celery contains luteolin, a potent flavonoid, that can act as an antioxidant and calm inflammation.

Celery juice should be consumed immediately upon waking up, on an empty stomach for maximum benefits. You may start to feel the positive changes in as little as seven days after starting your daily celery-juice habit, but you can continue drinking it for as long as you want. You may want to start slowly with six to eight ounces and build up to 16 ounces from there.

Learn all about autoimmune disease management with Elissa’s guides: what to do after a Hashimoto’s diagnosis,  and how to lighten our daily toxic load.

1. Since a juicer is not affordable for me, can one just simply eat the celery and receive the same benefits?

Lindsay | 04.13.2018 | Reply
    • You’ll benefit from eating celery, but juice is a concentrated form of the veggie so it’s not quite the same thing. Read our story on “juicing without a juicer”!

The Chalkboard | 04.13.2018 | Reply
    • Hi Lindsay,
      I am in week 2 of my celery juicing. First I was using high speed blender, but then I bought a 2nd hand juicer really cheap so try to search on the internet for used ones. Juicer including washing takes 5 minutes while blender incl cutting into small chunks, pouring through teh cloth an dwashing all 30 min. Good luck

Anna | 07.02.2018 | Reply
  2. Is celery juice sold in grocery stores?

Jane Frey | 04.13.2018 | Reply
    • It’s not! But you could ask most juice bars to make this for you easily.

The Chalkboard | 04.13.2018 | Reply
  3. I am shocked ( in a good way!!) that you are writing about the MM protocol, I have been on the protocols for 5 months and have experienced tremendous results! I got my life back, swear by it! Thanks for the article!!

Susann Dempel | 04.13.2018 | Reply
  4. I have been drinking celery juice for almost 20 years first thing in the morning. My morning routine is celery juice plus carrot juice and around 7 pieces of dates

Majid | 04.14.2018 | Reply
  5. I have been drinking warm lemon water for 8 months now. It sure has made a difference in my life!! I thought the taste would be bad, as I could never stand a slice of lemon in water. Guess what it was good from the start! I will not ever go with out it!!

Lynne Gibb | 04.15.2018 | Reply
    • I also have my lemon water
      Every morning for a yr now, I’m feeling good as a 66 yr old woman
      After 2nd cup of coffe, the lemon water starts to sort of clean me out

denise | 04.17.2018 | Reply
  6. I’ve read up on this and am so glad to see it here…reminds me to get going! I start each day w a litre of lemon water on an empty stomach. I’ve been doing this for years and am really happy w it…thoughts on doing the celery juice after?

jen | 04.15.2018 | Reply
  7. after what time the juice is supposed to be taken

mary | 04.16.2018 | Reply
  8. I never thought to drink celery juice, it looks like it really does have some good benefits, I think I will definitely be trying this out soon.

Eme | 04.17.2018 | Reply
  9. So most (or maybe all?) thryroid medications are to be taken first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, then to wait an hour before consuming anything so the medicine gets full absorbed. Is it okay to drink this celery juice that much later in the morning to still have its impact on those with thyroid disease?

Amalia | 04.17.2018 | Reply
    • I was wondering the same thing!

Lori | 06.19.2018 | Reply
    • I take my thyroid medication first thing in the morning, then wait (yoga, stretch, write) and have some warm lemon water and then my celery juice, so usually it’s about an hour or so after I wake up that I have it, still on an empty stomach. I think celery juice is absolutely beneficial anytime you drink it! Not everybody has the luxury of spacing things out so much in the morning, so just getting it in your system is going to have amazing benefits!

Marcy | 07.19.2018 | Reply
  10. Could you supply the link for your story ” juicing without a juicer”? Be intetested to see how this works.
    I agree that really effective juicers are expensive. I feel juicing celery or any other vegetable or fruit is really about getting nutrients into the body in sufficiently large amounts quickly as an aide to healing. Depending on how ill you really are, eating the right foods whole again, should be the real goal. We grow teeth for good reason -to initiate the digestive process where food is first introduced into the body, in the mouth where teeth chew food & saliva is mixed in to help with easier swallowing, all signalling for the release of stomach acids to help that process & with absorption of nutrients. Eating the wrong foods has, in recent times, led to a variety of problems & reduced or annhilated the efficacy of stomach acids. Good health, we often read these days, starts in the gut, but German naturopaths or alternative medicine practitioners have known that for decades.

Michelle | 04.17.2018 | Reply
  11. If you were to drink a blended version- say celery, parsley, green apple, spinach, ice etc- would you still be able to benefit from the nutrient intake? We don’t have a juicer either, just a blender. . . Will check the juicing without a juicer article also And how much celery would you be juicing to make 6-8 ozs of juice?

Katie | 04.19.2018 | Reply
  12. I have OAS (oral allergy Syndrome). Can’t eat anything raw.
    Can I cook the celery juice and get the same benefits. I realize I’m in a sort of catch-22.

Annette | 05.31.2018 | Reply
  13. This is great for me I just started with the celery juice I have fatty liver I am drinking 8oz hope for the best to my next lab work.

Esther avila | 06.24.2018 | Reply
  14. Hey There, Glad to know by reading your post about Drinking benefits of Celery Juice, hope I’ll try it tomorrow with my Family. can I add some extra ingredients to this recipe Like Honey.? what did you say.? Thanks in Advance

Andrew Hartness | 07.22.2018 | Reply
  15. my stomach is very sensitive to begin with, can I drink celery juice throughout day (to equal 16 oz.) or will the benefits only evolve if on empty stomach in the AM.

CALIFORNIA2018 | 08.01.2018 | Reply
  16. Hi!
    In an effort not to wake my kids with the juicer I’m the morning. Can I Juice I’m the evening and refrigerate til the morning?

Michelle Harris | 08.05.2018 | Reply
  17. From experience, do you drink the celery juice while taking your thyroid meds? I really want to get rid of my meds as much as possible and go natural. Pls enlighten me. Thank you.

Chai | 08.07.2018 | Reply
  18. How much are you meant to drink each morning? (i.e a shot or a full glass?) and where do you get it?

annie | 08.13.2018 | Reply
  19. I’ve been blending celery with ginger every morning . I don’t juice . Why is juicing superior ?

Helen | 08.16.2018 | Reply
  20. Recipe?

Nan Green | 09.05.2018 | Reply
  21. I have been drinking 16 oz of celery juice on an empty stomach for two weeks now. I notice that this pretty immediately triggers a need to get to the bathroom (in a hurry..), and then for the rest of the day I’v still felt the need to stay close to a bathroom (if you catch my drift). After the first visit to the bathroom (which is only ever slightly satisfying), I have continued to feel crampy and constipated for the rest of the day. Can you advise? Is this something you have heard of anyone else having trouble with? I usually follow up my juice with coffee and breakfast around 15 minutes later. As an experiment, I skipped two days of celery juice and felt much more “regular” on these days. I want to stick with this for all of the touted health benefits, but getting myself on a more “regular” schedule was a major part of the appeal, and I am sadly finding the opposite to be true. Hoping to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience, possibly since I am so new to this?

Bianca | 09.25.2018 | Reply
  22. Bianca, I am also having a similar reaction! My digestion has been WAY off since drinking celery juice – I’m on day 13. I’ve felt super bloated every day. I also got a cold around day 4 or 5. What the heck? Celery juice is having an opposite effect on me from all the benefits, it seems!

Mary | 10.01.2018 | Reply
  23. I had the same issue for about 2 weeks! BUT I believe this to be a “detox” phase. I’m on week 4 and I feel so so good. My digestion is fantastic, I have so much energy, no more bloating and my skin is glowing. Give it time, its just your body dispelling junk and healing.

Madison | 10.02.2018 | Reply
  24. Hello all, I was thinking in mixing celery, cucumber and ginger. what are your thoughts on this? if I do this I will ruin all benefits? please advise.

hector | 10.10.2018 | Reply
  25. Hi all, I’ve been having celery juice now for 9 days and in the last 2 days have developed a funny back of mouth / throat. At times metallic taste and scratchy like sandpaper when I eat! Has anyone experienced this? Is this the detoxing stage or do I need to see a dr?!?!?

Mellij | 10.14.2018 | Reply
  26. If drink and u are having all bad side, it means the healing process is taking place.

27. Yes may have to talking Celery juice slow lly . Start with 4oz then increase it to 8 Oz .Then finallly to 16oz.
    In nature we don’t start running before we crawl.

28. I have just started taking celery juice, 16 ounces, the juice from one organic celery. It is my 8th day today. I am 81 years old and have suffered from diabetes since 1992. I have not noticed much change in my body yet, may be I have to take it for much longer period. I will take celery juice for a month to see some change in my body. May be I need to share it with someone of similar age to learn how long before I will notice a change.

Dr.islam ul Haq Chaudhri | 10.30.2018 | Reply
  29. Mmm… I’ve been drinking pure fresh celery juice on an empty stomach every single morning for the last 7 months. I haven’t noticed any changes to be honest. I am sure it can’t hurt though.

Foffion | 11.04.2018 | Reply
  30. My daily poop became regular since I started drinking celery juice and my acid reflux gone and I don’t get that hungry anymore. I
    Was 104 lbs, lost 2 lbs, and I m not happy because I wanted to be 105 lbs, I am 5 feet tall. What shall I do? I don’t want to lose weight

Aida | 11.12.2018 | Reply
  31. I’ve been on celery juice for a week and my husband took one small glass on day one and loved how it made him feel so much that he’s joined me on this endeavor! It truly does make me feel noticeably different. Revitalized. And I LOST WEIGHT. Literally done nothing else but add celery juice. I am thinking due to the fact I had low HCL before and wasn’t digesting properly!

Can’t say enough about this cheap superfood. I am in love!

32. I have a generic version of the nutribullet, would that work and if so do you add water or anything?

Drew | 11.19.2018 | Reply
  33. My husband and I are on day 1 of celery juice. My only question is how long do I wait to eat after drinking the juice? Or do I have to wait?

Zina | 12.05.2018 | Reply
  34. How long after a celery juice can you have coffee or food without decreasing the health benefits of the juice

35. Zina according to the MM you wait for 15 mins before taking in any other juices or foods after drinking the pure celery juice.

Danae | 12.11.2018 | Reply
  36. I can hardly wait to experience all of the benefits of celery juicing. But first I need to find or buy a juicer and hopefully today will be day one for me.

37. I drank organic celery juice for 3 days & I was crashing like I had Narcolepsy every day from 4-8. On the 4th day, I got extremely bad heartburn and major pain in my left ribcage front to back and crashed all evening having really strange dreams and I was much more constipated than usual. What is going on? That kind of heartburn is difficult to stop naturally. Any ideas, I know its working just not sure how to do the whole empty stomach thing with what is going on.

A. Simpson | 12.16.2018 | Reply