Would You Eat Argan Oil - Edible Argan Oil
10.18.12

Most of us have caught on to the argan oil trend over the past few years. Argan oil hair treatments, skin care – even oil-infused makeup – have taken the beauty market by storm. With it’s rich, light and nourishing properties for our outsides, I suppose it’s no surprise to find it’s great for our insides as well!  Some of our most trusted skin care experts say that your skin care should be as close to edible as possible – pure, non-toxic and nutritious for our bodies.

Argan oil was all of unheard of in the United States until brands like Josie Maran introduced us to this Moroccan super-fruit. With our love for all of Josie’s argan-based lotions and potions, we were intrigued when we received a bottle of Arganic’s virgin culinary argan oil in the mail. Apparently, the vitamin E that gives argan it’s luxurious qualities for the skin, also provides tremendous nutrition in the form of omega fatty acids 6 & 9. So a drizzle of argan oil is actually a cholesterol-busting addition to most foods.

With the growing popularity of coconut oil for both skin care and in cooking, and with the kitchen-staple olive oil being found in more and more body lotions, we can’t say we’re shocking to find our favorite skincare ingredient used as a condiment. However, we’re not sure the feeling is that common. We’ve definitely swiped coconut oil from the pantry before to slather on skin, but what about you? When it comes to edible argan oil – would you or wouldn’t you?

If you’re on the fence, here is a simple recipe to try at home. Let us know what you think!

Arganic Giveaway!

Arganic is giving away one bottle of Virgin Argan Oil for one lucky reader to enjoy! Leave us your comments below and tell us how you would use argan oil. The best comment wins!

• Date, Walnut, and Feta Salad  (Serves 2)

• Ingredients:

4 cups wild rocket
    A handful of dates, preferably medjool (large and juicy)
    A handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
    1 cup feta cheese

For the dressing:
    3 Tablespoon Argan oil
    1 Tablespoon pomegranate molasses

• Directions:

We find that these ingredients really compliment each other and make for an easy, delicious, and nutritious dish. Wash and dry the rocket and place into a large bowl. Next pit and roughly chop the dates and add to the bowl. Follow with the feta cheese cut into cubes and the walnuts. For the dressing add 3 tablespoons of argan oil and 1 tablespoon of the pomegranate molasses. Add salt to taste and indulge!

add a comment (18) Permalink PIN IT

1. I would like to try it out in an olive oil cake! Maybe this almond one for some extra nuttiness: http://www.lottieanddoof.com/2012/05/almond-olive-oil-cake/

Caroline | 10.18.2012 | Reply
  2. salads, warm bread- and as a finishing touch on some cozy fall soups!

cristina | 10.18.2012 | Reply
  3. So exciting – I *love* argon oil and the thought of salad lightly bathed in argon oil makes my day! And pomegranate molasses, sigh. This is too good to be true!

leigh | 10.18.2012 | Reply
  4. So exciting – I *love* argan oil and the thought of salad lightly bathed in argan oil makes my day! And pomegranate molasses, sigh. This is too good to be true!

(replaces earlier post with typo’s – so sorry!!)

leigh | 10.18.2012 | Reply
  5. I’m a sucker for incorporating my beauty products into my cooking regimen (hence my coconut oil fixation that has taken over my life!) I would try a fresh quinoa stir fry, complete with farmer’s market veggies (tomato, kale, pine nuts) topped with a bit of chopped garlic. I would imagine the Argan oil would provide just the right amount of nuttiness and flavor to really bring it together.

sheena | 10.18.2012 | Reply
  6. I would use the oil to top salads like this (which looks delicious!) and use it to saute vegetables. I also found a delicious recipe that has honey, almonds and argan oil and I would spread this mixture over freshly baked bread or have with some apple slices for a yummy snack.
    Here is the recipe in case anyone’s interested:

Tara | 10.19.2012 | Reply
  7. Love this company and such an inspiring story!! Been really into making my own raw chocolate. Just made a batch with olive oil & sea salt. I think dark chocolate with argan oil would be an awesome second variety!

Julia | 10.20.2012 | Reply
  8. Wonderful article! I am obsessed with argan oil and what it does for skin; I’m definitely interested in trying it on a delicious kale salad. The results from using argan oil are second to none. I developed an argan oil moisturizer 2 years ago after seeing what this oil did for my skin. Check out Defend Argan Oil here http://www.purelementnaturals.com Thanks!

9. THANK YOU TO ALL READERS FOR YOUR WONDERFUL COMMENTS, AND CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR WINNER: SHEENA!

The Chalkboard | 10.23.2012 | Reply
  10. Thank you so much! I’ll make sure to let you know how the quinoa stir-fry turns out! xo

sheena | 10.23.2012 | Reply
  11. its a wonderful cooking oil, tastes a bit like hazel nut. high in omegas, sterols, vitamin e and ferulic acid you can buy it in softgel form as a daily supplement too! i love argan

ema turner | 01.02.2013 | Reply
  12. Edible argan oil is amazing. So delicious. I get mine from http://www.moroccansilk.com

Karen | 02.16.2013 | Reply
  13. I used to use Argan hair oil but I switched to the Shielo shine restoration oil – its is a type of amazon oil which I heard about on TV. The Shielo hair oil is nothing short of amazing. I’m a product junkie with thick/frizzy hair, and have NEVER experienced a hair product like this before. I have tried this formula both ways: on wet and on dry hair. Using it on dry hair gives it a bit of a shine…and even a little body.

Lala superstar | 04.30.2013 | Reply
  14. i have had argan oil to dress my food with whilst i was in paris, however, i have not been able to find it or see it since. Very light in texture and great as a dressing for salads, I would say, mores, than olive oil as it doesnt affect the taste too much, semi-aromatic but not flavorful as an oil.

sarah k. | 11.17.2013 | Reply
  15. Argan oil is such an amazing oil! The taste is beyond delicous! I use it in dressings, bruschetta, cooking veggies and meats, so much! I love the fact it has all 3 omegas, and is high in sterols and squalene. I have been also taking the edible argan softgels as a daily supplement. My hair and skin are much softer and healthier in the last few months!

Rachel B | 12.05.2013 | Reply
  16. Argan oil is the best oil I have used. I run my fingers through my hair all day to feel its silliness. I carry it in my purse and moisturize with nothing else. Now that I know it’s edible. Woweee! I am an Argan freak. If it were an available man, I’ll marry him in a heartbeat. Lol

Ysanna John | 02.17.2014 | Reply
  17. Hi. I’m Chris, living in France. You know, the country where the food is the best in the world (I’m kidding!)
    OK, here is an idea I tried when I was visiting Marrakech in Marocco.
    Just pour a little bit of Argan oil on two scoops of vanilla ice cream. It’s as simple as that. The nice nut taste of the delicate argan oil will go beatifully with the ice cream. Just try it. It’s as good as it is simple.

Then try another recipe: add a table spoon or two of argan oil into your salade dressing made with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Also add a half of a tea spoon of regular French mustard and parsley.
    You’ll love it.

Bye now

Chris H.

HURLBUT | 02.27.2014 | Reply
  18. Argan oil made my daughters hair grow like 10 inches in sic months it is wonderful

Amaris Versey | 07.09.2014 | Reply