The Simplest Health Tip Ever: Lemon Water
5.4.12

The way you start each day is incredibly important. Whether you’re a mom, a coach, a writer, a small business owner or a yoga teacher, what you do first thing in the morning matters.

According to Ayurvedic philosophy, choices that you make regarding your daily routine either build up resistance to disease or tear it down. Ayurveda invites us to get a jump-start on the day by focusing on morning rituals that work to align the body with nature’s rhythms, balance the doshas and foster self-esteem alongside self-discipline.

Your mind may say you have to check emails, take the dog out, get the kids out the door, that you can’t be late for work or that you just don’t have enough time to cultivate your own morning rituals. But if you can only make time for one ritual that will improve your health, let it be this: start the day out with a mug of warm water and the juice of half a lemon.It’s so simple and the benefits are just too good to ignore. Warm water with lemon:

1 Boosts your immune system: Lemons are high in Vitamin C and potassium. Vitamin C is great for fighting colds and potassium stimulates brain and nerve function and helps control blood pressure.

2 Balances pH: Lemons are an incredibly alkaline food, believe it or not. Yes, they are acidic on their own, but inside our bodies they’re alkaline (the citric acid does not create acidity in the body once metabolized). As you wellness warriors know, an alkaline body is really the key to good health.

3 Helps with weight loss: Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It also has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet lose weight faster. And my experience is that when I start the day off right, it’s easier to make the best choices for myself the rest of the day.

4 Aids digestion: The warm water serves to stimulate the gastrointestinal tract and peristalsis – the waves of muscle contractions within the intestinal walls that keep things moving. Lemons and limes are also high in minerals and vitamins and help loosen ama, or toxins, in the digestive tract.

5 Acts as a gentle, natural diuretic: Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. Toxins are, therefore, released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.

6 Clears skin: The vitamin C helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well.

7 Hydrates the lymph system: This cup of goodness helps start the day on a hydrated note, which helps prevent dehydration (obviously) and adrenal fatigue. When your body is dehydrated, or deeply dehydrated (adrenal fatigue), it can’t perform all of it’s proper functions, which leads to toxic buildup, stress, constipation and the list goes on. Your adrenals happen to be two small glands that sit on top of your kidneys and along with your thyroid, they create energy. They also secrete important hormones, including aldosterone. Aldosterone is a hormone secreted by your adrenals that regulates water levels and the concentration of minerals, like sodium, in your body, helping you stay hydrated. Your adrenals are also responsible for regulating your stress response. So, the bottom line is that you really don’t want to mess with a deep state of dehydration!

Adopting just this one practice of drinking a cup of warm water with lemon in the morning for a month can radically alter your experience of the day. Don’t be surprised if you begin to view mornings in a new light. Like I said, the recipe is really simple – a cup of warm (not hot) water and the juice from half a lemon.

love this tip? you’ll love our other top tips too: Drink green juice daily, eat superfoods, find a probiotic, swap out simple staples and adjust your pH! Sign up for our weekly newsletter to join our wellness-minded community.

We want to hear from you!

In the comments below, tell us which one of these benefits is going to get you to try this morning ritual. Or, if you’re already a lemon water junkie, what specific benefits have you noticed? Remember, real change comes from taking action.

add a comment (147) Permalink PIN IT

1. I have a few genetic blood disorders that this will help me with. I have genetic migraines and I am always looking for ways to keep my body detoxified. I am going to try this for 30 days and see how it works for me. Thank you.

Tricia Bond | 05.04.2012 | Reply
    • Wow. So glad to hear you’re going to try it. Please let us know how it goes…we’d love to hear about if it works and your journey to wellness. Best, The Chalkboard (Hello@thechalkboardmag.com)

The Chalkboard | 05.04.2012 | Reply
  2. Thank you for sharing this! I am so fascinated by Ayurveda and love trying to apply principals to my life. This gave me the extra push to drop my morning coffee and replace it with lemon water. Eeek! It is going to be tough….but this was inspiration! Thanks!

• Congratulations! Let us know how its going we’d love to hear about how switching from lemon water to coffee is affecting your energy and day let us know at Hello@thechalkboardmag.com x

The Chalkboard | 05.04.2012 | Reply
    • That is amazing that you are open to natural treatments to detox your body, I have actually been doing this for a couple months now, and it’s amazing!! just came across this page today, and I think it is absolutely wonderful what they promote here. My recommendation would be to keep one in your purse(lemon) that way you have it before your meals,best of luck,
      M

Misty | 01.09.2013 | Reply
  3. lemon is hard on the enamel of the teeth though, wearing it away quickly due to the acidity (which is alkaline once metabolized). to avoid contact with teeth as much as possible, drink lemon water through a straw.

harmony | 05.04.2012 | Reply
    • Great tip…it’s important to be mindful of your enamel because once its gone its gone forever. thanks for the reminder…using a straw is a great solution!

The Chalkboard | 05.04.2012 | Reply
  4. Does it have to be a fresh lemon or can in be from a bottle?

Christy | 05.04.2012 | Reply
  5. I’ve been doing the warm water with lemon for sometime now & feel the benefits you have described! I’m on weigh watchers &, this was a tip I got from my weekly meetings. lets say my body perks better than my morning coffee :)

sue olinger | 05.04.2012 | Reply
  6. I’ve been on steroids for a while. If it helps my adrenal system, I’m all for trying it. A little weight loss won’t hurt either

Carol Ann | 05.04.2012 | Reply
  7. Hi there, thanks for the interesting post – will definitely give this a go tomorrow morning! I too would like to know if it needs to be fresh lemons, or can I use juice from a bottle? Thanks

Ashlee | 05.06.2012 | Reply
  8. Hi there, I’ve been doing this for a few months because I had trouble with too much gastric acid when I was under a lot of stress. So I started drinking warm water with lemon to relieve and relax my stomach. It really worked and I kept going since I realized that my entire digestive tract benefited from it and is more balanced.

Carolin | 05.06.2012 | Reply
  9. drinking lemon water (or eating/drinking any other food for that matter) will NOT make your body more alkaline. your body maintains a comfortable pH of about 7.35 – that’s the blood and most organs beside the stomach and intestines. it seems this whole “alkaline” thing is catching on (most notably with the ionized water scams), but the fact is none of that will make your body alkaline. your body’s alkalinity is maintained through respiration (breathing). period.

that being said, there is not harm in drinking warm lemon water as it provides vitamin C and is great early morning hydration for the body.

kate | 05.15.2012 | Reply
    • I get what you are saying because I’m in nursing school but this is being discussed from a nutritional point of view for what irritates our system more and what does not. I had a time wrapping my head around the concept but I’m getting a better understanding of it because I have a very sensitive GI track and it responds quite well to this form of diet. So has my immune system and over all health. We of course do not want our blood Ph levels to be anything but balanced. But from what I have been learning so far I look forward to adding this to my morning regimen. I had been juicing and I just do not have time for it right now between work, school, and planning a wedding. I don’t know how other busy people find the time. But this seems like it would be a very addition. Thanks for the article!

Melanie | 12.03.2012 | Reply
      • Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials :) There is always time for your health!! try putting a lemon in your purse so you can just squeeze it into warm water before meals :)

Misty | 01.09.2013 | Reply
    • Alkaline foods and alkaline water make it easier for the body to maintain homeostasis. The body must work very hard if we constantly ingest acid ash producing substances, including chemicals, pesticides and so on. Also, body tissue in general can become more acidic than is healthy. The body can more easily employ the immune system to rid itself of these contaminants if it is not constantly taxed fighting to maintain its many other functions.

Scientific Research Studies on Ionized Alkaline Water
      Physiological effects of alkaline ionized water: Effects on metabolites produced by
      intestinal fermentation
      by Takashi Hayakawa, Chicko Tushiya, Hisanori Onoda, Hisayo Ohkouchi, Harul-~to Tsuge
      (Gifu University, Faculty of Engineering, Dept. of Food Science)

PAtrick | 10.13.2013 | Reply
      • Totally agree, the body will do anything, to keep the blood alkaline, like getting calcium from the bones for example, yes the blood is always alkaline, but what part of you body is paying the price?

Irama | 06.08.2014 | Reply
  10. I’ve been doing this for years, and was attracted to it for two reasons that you don’t quite mention:
    1. Sleeping dehydrates the body; we’re breathing out moisture all night, and not taking any in, right? A big glass of water is the perfect way to get started, and the lemon (+ a bit of stevia, for me) is a bonus, makes it more tasty, and see #2.
    2. Lemon is a great liver tonic. The Chinese have called the liver, “the general of the body,” because it is so important in so many functions, from digestion to detoxification to hormone balancing, and more. Being “kind” to our livers is just good medicine.

11. All of these benefits have inspired me to start this morning ritual..I’m finding mornings really difficult at the moment which in turn makes me lag during the day. I hope that I will see or more like feel a difference. Thank you!!

Titi | 07.05.2012 | Reply
  12. Thanks for this info! I have only heard of doing this when you feel bloated. I had not heard of doing this daily and first thing in the morning. I am definitely going to try it!

13. Do you get the same good benefits if you put the lemon into green tea? That’s how I start my day.

pyzahn | 10.22.2012 | Reply
  14. Thank you. I have also used the lemon juice cleanse with terrific results. I lost over 20 plus pounds in the past year simply eating healthy, natural foods, and drinking lemon daily. In fact, I make a few extra glasses each morning with fresh lemon juice and bring it to work with me. (My DDS advised the straw as well). My weight dropped, and my energy level kicked up a notch as well. Another sidebar: I have been cold and flu free for over a year. Whether that relates or not to the lemons, I intend keep my daily warm lemonade kick off to the day.

Kayteya | 10.24.2012 | Reply
  15. I have been drinking lemon water each morning for decades. I do it somewhat differently. I nuke a cup of water and add a slice of lemon. I drink two cups each morning. It has not impaced my teeth…note I am not using 1/2 a lemon! My teeth do stay white without teeth whitening products. I love this stuff, can’t skip it.
    Results…great liver flush according to my doctor. I am 72 and not on meds. Also, my skin doesn’t begin to look my age. I think the results are “in” without such a large amount of lemon providing you make it a daily habit. I even travel with fresh lemon.

Kay Schatzley | 10.25.2012 | Reply
  16. When my gallbladder starts barking,( not ready to remove it), half a lemon in warm water stabilizes the event. Additionally I enjoy it in the am with a splash of aloe Vera water.

Jusjas | 10.31.2012 | Reply
  17. Do green limes have the same effect?

Gabriela | 11.05.2012 | Reply
    • Gabriela – limes do have similar benefits as lemons, so feel free to change it up every so often!

The Chalkboard | 11.05.2012 | Reply
  18. I juice 1/2 of a lemon every morning with my green juice. I always try to drink a glass of water either before my juice or along with it. Would it be overkill if I added another 1/2 lemon to my water considering I’m already consuming 1/2 lemon in my daily juice? Which, I will add, I love my juice. Going on 2+ months of green juice for breakfast Monday through Friday And I feel fabulous.

Christina | 11.24.2012 | Reply
  19. I don’t know if I could not have my morning coffee but I could have this before I eat breakfast. Question, is lemon water only effective if you drink it in the morning or can it be good for you at lunch or later. Thanks.

beth | 11.25.2012 | Reply
    • Hi Beth, while lemon water is an effective way to jump-start your morning, it is also great way to keep your body alkalized and healthy – all times of day!

The Chalkboard | 11.25.2012 | Reply
  20. If you’re worried about the effect of citric acid on your teeth just rinse your mouth with plain water after you’ve finished your lemon drink. This applies to any fruit juice drink or those containing sugars.

As for the numerous benefits claimed above, I’ll have to take these with a pinch of salt. I don’t think lemon, or any other ingredient, is a panacaea or a magical cure and cannot compensate for poor diet or other habits.

My advice is:
    - Eat healthily, using a variety of fresh ingredients
    - Exercise daily outdoors, even when it’s raining
    - Sleep lots
    - Ease up: do everything you can to reduce stress (and yes, there’s lots you can do)

Simon | 11.29.2012 | Reply
  21. I love lemon and limes and do put them both in my water here and there, never warm though and I didn’t even realize it helps with hunger cravings. Great post thank you!

22. How about substituting apple cider vinegar for lemon juice?

23. Can I follow this with my regular morning cup of coffee??? How much time delay? Coffee junkie.

Gwen | 12.03.2012 | Reply
  24. Why not cold water? Or hot water?

Carolyn | 12.03.2012 | Reply
    • Cold is so shocking on your system and will just burn you lol Not official, but just my thought.

Sarah Carey | 06.28.2013 | Reply
  25. I have made this my morning ‘constitution’ for 25 years now. I could not begin my day any other way; and I have to say it does wonders for the skin. So nice to see if affirmed!

26. I recently started trying to cut back on sugary drinks. Lemon and lime with a little stevia in some soda water has been a fantastic substitute, but I had no idea lemons had so many great benefits!

Brenda | 12.03.2012 | Reply
  27. I have always drunk herbal tea first thing in the morning, so adding lemon should be easy. Linden tea, hibiscus, verbena, there are so many wonderful options out there, and with some lemon the mix would probably be even more delicious. Does it have to be just plain boring hot water????

Oana | 12.03.2012 | Reply
  28. I have been taking a glass of warm water with lemon sometimes and sometimes without for about 4 years now and my digestion is great and I do feel like my whole body is refreshed from just starting the day with a warm cup of water.

Faith S. | 12.03.2012 | Reply
  29. I love this tip! Just curious, what if you replaced the warm water with warm green tea? Will it still have the same effects? Better effects? Thanks!

• The point of warm water and fresh lemon juice is to feed your liver what supports it. Green tea is beneficial but not in this instance. Green tea even decaffeinated has some caffeine & is not something it needs first thing. Caffeine has many actions. Many people drink green tea first thing it is not bad. But if u r looking to specifically treat your liver nicely leave out the green tea first thing.

30. I used to suffer from migraines every month. After reading an article on changing the body from and acidic to an akaline state, I spend about a month drinking glass of warm lemon/honey water each day. My migraines stopped immediately, and have not returned for over 6 years.

Brenda | 12.03.2012 | Reply
  31. Does it have to be warm water? Can I drink cold water and have the same results?

Darby | 12.03.2012 | Reply
    • Warm water is prefferable

• I’m curious…why is warm water preferable? What about it makes a difference?

Darby | 12.06.2012 | Reply
        • A friend of mine (who’s a personal trainer) told me this when telling me to start drinking warm drinks with every meal. Imagine a stick of butter on a cold skillet vs a warm skillet.

Sarah Carey | 06.28.2013
  32. can you use lime too?

• Hi Connie, limes have many of the same properties as lemons, so in a pinch we say go for it!

The Chalkboard | 12.04.2012 | Reply
  33. I have mine with a teaspoon of manuka honey too! My acupuncturist suggested this morning routine & my body/mind loves it (:

Deanna | 12.03.2012 | Reply
    • Manuka honey is our best defense against bacterial infections including lyme and MRZA. My stepmother ate 7 or 8 jars and it currd her MRZA eventhough it had set up shop in her lungs. There is sugar in lemons. There r different opinions but i like the fresh lemon juice and warm water w/o manuka honey. Too much sugar first thing is not neccessary. Manuka honey for me is better several times a day but not first thing.

34. Are there benefits to drinking this in the morning as opposed to the evening?

Denise | 12.03.2012 | Reply
  35. Awesome! I do this every morning, except I add a little honey to mine.

Emily | 12.03.2012 | Reply
  36. Can a lime be substituted for the lemon? Lemons are not all that common here in Belize.

Denise | 12.03.2012 | Reply
    • Hi Denise, limes have many of the same properties as lemons, so in a pinch we say go for it!

The Chalkboard | 12.04.2012 | Reply
  37. so glad to read this. I hope it helps me with alot of problems I have been having..
    I was wondering if it would be ok if I put a little honey in it?

38. I have been going this all my life. My italian great grendmother, who died at the age of 92 advised all the women in the family to do so and the benefits to health and beauty. What a great article! Thanks for being simple and true!

cecelia | 12.04.2012 | Reply
  39. Loving all the conversation here, and the wealth of knowledge!

The Chalkboard | 12.04.2012 | Reply
  40. I have been drinking a 10 Oz. glass of warm water with the juice of a whole lemon first thing in the morning on an empty stomach for about 3 years now (and additionally throughout the day I drink 6-8 glasses of room temp water mixed with about 1 1/2 oz. of 100% pure cranberry juice). I began to do it after reading several excellent health articles about the gentle detoxing effects of the lemon warm water and the benefits to the liver if done first thing in the morning, plus the benefits of the sustained hydration throughout the day and the additional benefits of the effects of pure cranberry juice on fat tissue dilution. Although I have always practiced good nutritional habits and avoid extra sugars and simple carbs, I was still compelled to begin this new life style, and of course there is always the 5-10 lbs to lose, and I indeed was instantly delighted at the many positive changes. First off I noticed my weight drop and have not had a cold in 3 years. Sticking to the goal of 8 glasses of water per day has naturally replaced the fake ‘hunger’ I used to feel when really I was just thirsty. Note: I allow about 20-25 minutes after the lemon water before I drink or eat anything. It’s a win/win for my weight, my skin, and my liver!

Luz | 12.17.2012 | Reply
    • Wow, Luz – what a success story! Thanks for sharing with us!

The Chalkboard | 12.17.2012 | Reply
  41. Hi – I will give this idea a try. I suffer rather badly from heartburn and acid coming back up the oesophagus for which I now require to take medication, which I am unhappy about. If takig lemon and warm water in the morning will make by body more alkaline, surely this will help with my problem?

• I do believe it will help you with the heartburn. Good luck. Do let us know how it worked out for you. Thanks!

Salman | 01.13.2013 | Reply
  42. Thank you for this insightful article. I suffer from acne and started off by applying lemon juice to my face, it seemed to irritate my skin, so I stopped and switched to drinking warm water and lemon first thing in d morning. Its bin only 2wks now but I want to know if it really will help stop acne and clear my spots as weLl?

kemisola | 12.27.2012 | Reply
  43. Great article, I’ve started drinking lemon water about a week ago as part of a detox. I noticed already that the spots on my face are starting to clear, I don’t bloat at all now, I’m a lot less hungry (and I pee A LOT haha!) mind you all the fruits, veggies, nuts and excersize would have something to do with that too). I’m still waiting for the “extra energy” bit… although I must admit I do wake up easier now. I use 1 lemon to fill four 500ml bottles and I drink almost 4 in a day (2 at work and 2 at home) so that’s about 2L. Well, so far so good, I’d like to maintain the lemon water habit for the rest of my life. I don’t use hot water though, so I’m just wondering why is hot water better?

Sherry | 01.21.2013 | Reply
  44. Hi! I have actually been doing this since Jan. 1st. I was searching to learn more about the benefits when I found your article. It’s been 3 wks now. I start every morning with a warm lemon water. Ive also been eating healthier and I have to say, I am not as hungry as I normally am. As a matter of fact in the evenings, I’m not hungry at all, if anything I’ll have a warm lemon water with a bit of honey and thats about it. My skin is clearer too. My only concern is decay on the enamel of my teeth, so I brush right after. Best wishes everyone!

Laura | 01.22.2013 | Reply
    • One thing I learned from my DDS was when eating or drinking something acidic to rinse immediately, but to wait a short while before brushing becuase immediately after your enamel is still soft from the acid.

Renee | 01.30.2013 | Reply
  45. For the people who are worried about not having the time to juice their lemons and prepare their lemon water, I use mason jars and thinly slice the lemons and put them in each jar with water and ice, then let them chill in the fridge. You get all of the benefits from the lemons as well as drinking the water chilled, it also burns calories! So on the days where your in a rush, you can just run to the fridge and grab and jar and go! I absolutely love lemon water and drink it every day.

Let’s figure out exactly what you’re burning when you drink a 16-ounce (0.5 liter) glass of ice water:
    The temperature of ice water can be estimated at zero degrees Celsius.
    Body temperature can be estimated at 37 degrees Celsius.
    It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.
    There are 473.18 grams in 16 fluid ounces of water.
    So in the case of a 16-ounce glass of ice water, your body must raise the temperature of 473.18 grams of water from zero to 37 degrees C. In doing so, your body burns 17,508 calories. But that’s calories with a little “c.” Your body only burns 17.5 Calories, and in the grand scheme of a 2,000-Calorie diet, that 17.5 isn’t very significant.
    But let’s say you adhere to the “eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day” nutritional recommendation. In 64 ounces of water, there are 1,892.72 grams. So to warm up all that water in the course of a day, your body burns 70,030 calories, or 70 Calories. And over time, that 70 Calories a day adds up. So, while you definitely shouldn’t depend on ice water consumption to replace exercise or a healthy diet, drinking cold water instead of warm water does, in fact, burn some extra Calories!

Cassie | 01.25.2013 | Reply
    • Cassie,

Ayurveda states that drinking any cold liquid will put out your digestive fire. Also, one is not supposed to drink liquids while eating as it will flood the stomach and prohibit the best possible digestion as well.

Jennifer | 12.01.2013 | Reply
  46. i am really glad it works for me to reduce fats nd it keeps my immune system fits.. thanks a lot

bijaya bhakat | 01.31.2013 | Reply
  47. I am almost 2wks in my new morning ritual, however I enjoy it so much it is now my favorite drink!!! My skin is changing and it is obvious that something is happening!! On top of that after 2yrs long recovery from a breakdown I have found a new “ZEST” for life shall we say! So when life gives you lemons….pour warm water on them & ENJOY!! FABULOUS is all I can say!!!

Signed one very happy lady :0)

Julee | 03.01.2013 | Reply
  48. What if you take synthroid first thing in the morning, how long do you have to wait to take the lemon and
    warm water. Does it effect medication.

BECKY | 03.06.2013 | Reply
    • If you are taking synthyroid. My first suggestion is consult Ayurvedic doctor in your area. Yes there are ayurveda practicners in United States. Second get off that synthyroid prescription by taking simple suppliments. I am researcher and my research indicates following to boost your hypo-thyroid condition. Drink non-fluoridated alkali water. Ensure adequate consumption of trace mineral boron from natural or suppliments and of-course sea-salt. And kelp iodine Remember ro water is acidic and tap water is fluoridated. As far as lemon water goes drink it first thing in morning and anything else after 20 min.

• This might be good advice for someone who still has a thyroid, but I’ve had a thyroidectomy, so I will have to take Synthroid for the rest of my life. Does anyone know the answer to the question? Synthroid is to be taken on an empty stomach and we have to wait at least an hour before eating breakfast. Should we wait an hour before drinking lemon water?

NoThyroid | 05.23.2013 | Reply
        • Did you receive an answer on this? I have the same issue and wait an hour before I can eat, can we drink lemon water before the hour?

thyroid issue too | 06.05.2013
        • Yes, you need to wait for an hour before drinking lemon water. I’m in the same situation and I called my Endo and asked about it. He said I had to wait an hour since the vitamin C and Citric in Lemon will block the Synthroid absorption. Sorry for not having a better news, but I thought it’s important to let you know.

• Thank you for the info, lp!

The Chalkboard | 11.18.2013
        • Thank you LP. I too had a thyroidectomy and wondered if I could take my Synthroid with the warm lemon water. Rats.

lorraine | 02.02.2014
  49. I take this – A glass full warm water, 1 spoonfull of honey (10+) and a half a squeeze lemon or lime. I was suffering from poor digestion, headaches, lack of concentration and overall weakness. and this drink has created a magical change in all my problems. I feel so fresh and active after a glassful of this and slowly recovering my headache and digestion problems. Was curious to know if I can repeat the drink in the afternoon and evening as well? Please suggest.

• Hi AK – yes, lemon water all day is perfectly acceptable and beneficial!

The Chalkboard | 03.11.2013 | Reply
  50. I’ve been doing this from time to time with boiling water (obviously waiting until it’s cooled down enough to drink). Is this still as beneficial as starting with warm tap water? Just curious, thanks!

Sandra | 03.14.2013 | Reply
    • Tap water is better than bottled water in regards to purity but not as good as getting filtered water from a machine that has a 4 filter system. I have a post on my blog about water. It is eye opening. I only drink purified filtered water from a machine now – it is $.35 a gallon for a refill. I even make my coffee and tea with it.

Jennifer | 12.01.2013 | Reply
  51. omg, I started to drink lemon water every morning, warm, since I saw all the benefits to it and I noticed myself being more AWAKE and ENERGIZED at times before the lemon water I’d feel so groggy and tired. it’s great and I love it, I really want to find more secrets like this to improve my daily life, I feel great! :)

rachel | 03.23.2013 | Reply
    • Wow! We’re so happy to hear such stellar results, Rachel!

The Chalkboard | 03.23.2013 | Reply
  52. Can you make it the night before or make a few servings ahead of time? Or does it have to be freshly squeezed in the morning?

Syleah | 04.15.2013 | Reply
    • Hi Syleah, we recommend making it first thing in the morning to get the most benefits!

The Chalkboard | 04.15.2013 | Reply
  53. I started drinking lemon water before I knew all these benefits for just one reason….I found it helped me sore throat that I frequently got. Over time I noticed a bunch of other benefits. My skin cleared (huge yay!) my sinus problem went mostly away and I could have a bit of dairy without major headaches, and ….biggest surprise of all…I slept all the way through the night without waking around 3 or 4 am with my mind racing. So I looked it up. Everything makes sense now except the sleep thing. I thought maybe I was imagining things so I stopped drinking lemon for a bit to see what would happen. After 3 days my sleep deteriorated to once again waking with a racing mind around 3 or 4. I’m glad to know I can drink lemon to help this again, but a bit scared to think I NEED lemon water in order to survive. What is wrong with me? How does lemon fix it? Any insight is welcome. Thanks for all the info you’ve already given!

lili-kayy park | 04.19.2013 | Reply
    • In traditional Chinese medicine, a liver imbalance is what causes wake ups at around 4 am.

Amanda | 04.24.2013 | Reply
  54. the warm water strategy is new to me and i cant wait to try it! I am a HUGE water consumer already and one of my daily strategies is to keep a bottom spouted pitcher in the fridge full of ice and topped with my favorite fruits (lemon/lime, grapefruit/mint, mixed berries). I fill the pitcher with ice and its ready to go. I can easily fill my water bottles with it to go and drink by the glass while I’m home. It helps me get my water fill for the day with TONS of flavor!

Kristy | 04.19.2013 | Reply
  55. I am going to try this today! Just wondered if using bottled lemon juice would have the same effect as fresh lemons. Thanks for all the great tips.

Gretta | 04.22.2013 | Reply
  56. The importance of lemon juice in warm water cannot be under emphazised… I hav a testimony on my own. My menses delayed for two months which really got me scared cox i didnt know whether i was pregnant or not. I visited the hospital and received counter advice frm the nurse. Just recently i started taking lemon juice with warm water and “pa”… I saw my blood on the 3rd day of drinking the lemon… I have also cut down some weight and i and my fiance are very happpy about this. Jus try it. A glass of warm water with lemon juice, and u wil see wonders which were not mentioned here good luck.

Esther | 04.25.2013 | Reply
  57. I’m doing this, but adding a teabag of white tea. Does the tea mess it up?

Heather | 05.21.2013 | Reply
  58. Very interesting post. I am going to give this a go. I have been doing something similar with a fibre drink. Could the lemon be changed for lime?

59. i am a heavy tea and coffee drinker the other day my girlfriend suggested i drink a big mug of warm water with juice of one lemon it had an amazing effect physically and mentally i started doing 2 hours of solid housework it increased my motivation and energy going to do it every m,orning now

david | 05.30.2013 | Reply
  60. Does it matter if it is fresh lemon juice? Or can it be the bottled stuff from concentrate? Obviously, the bottled stuff would be MUCH more convenient.

Patrick | 06.04.2013 | Reply
    • Hi Patrick, it should be fresh lemon juice. If you’re looking for something more convenient check out the benefits of drinking raw apple cider vinegar!

The Chalkboard | 06.04.2013 | Reply
      • Just wondering what the differences in benefits are of drinking water with apple cider vinegar (been doing this for 6mo) to drinking water with lemon juice. And can/should you do both? I once had my vinegar water and then tea with lemon slices and it made my stomach ache (to the point that I threw up, then felt better). I thought perhaps it was too much acid (?). If you shouldn’t do both, which do you think would have the most benefits? Or am I wrong about drinking too much acidity?

paloma | 07.13.2013 | Reply
        • Paloma, both raw apple cider vinegar and lemon have the same alkalizing effect within the body – the opposite of the external acid effect. Since they both function similarly, we recommend either one of the other of these at a time.

The Chalkboard | 07.13.2013
  61. Why does the water have to be warm? Can I use ice cold water?

Jess | 06.05.2013 | Reply
    • Warm water is much better for digestion first thing in the morning, Jess!

Suzanne Hall | 06.07.2013 | Reply
  62. I’ve always loved lemon drinks so lemon is added to water kefir, kombucha, my water bottle or as a hot drink in cold wintery weather. This is the first year ever without a cold

joan | 06.10.2013 | Reply
  63. I put a whole lemon in a 32 oz glass of cold spring water. I do this every morning. 2 questions: 1. Does it change the effect of the lemon water by putting Stevia in it? 2. Can I continue drinking my water cold or does it negate the effect? Must I start out with warm water? Is it absolutely necessary or will it have the same effect if I drink it cold?

GAYLE | 06.11.2013 | Reply
  64. French women have been drinking this for a long time. It’s called “citron presse”.

Inge | 06.16.2013 | Reply
  65. Has anyone gotten cold sores from too much lemon??? Any solution for that? I get them when I eat lemons and grapefruit.

Sheila | 06.16.2013 | Reply
  66. I read about drinking a glass of water with lemon every morning and the benefit of it. So i tried it out and i must say i feel fresh every morning now, more energized than ever, my craving for food has reduced too. Am happy i discover this and its going to be my companion for life. i have been struggle to loss some weight for over 4 months after having my baby, within this short period of drinking my glass of water with lemon mixed with honey, i can feel the change in my body weight.

Susan | 06.21.2013 | Reply
  67. I have been using lemon first thing in the morning for about a year. The article I read suggested quickly drinking the juice from half a lemon and following that with about 2 oz. of warm water. This has worked very well for me and I am not concerned about damaging the enamel of my teeth with this method.

Kathleen | 06.24.2013 | Reply
  68. Well I drink a cup of pure lemon once every week because I like the acid, is that ok? Although i hardly get exhausted on my day.

Nate The Great | 06.28.2013 | Reply
  69. For latest news you have to go to see internet and on internet I
    found this website as a finest web page for most up-to-date updates.

70. Can I still get the benefits using bottled Realemon instead of real lemons?

Ricardo Chvaicer | 07.11.2013 | Reply
    • Ricardo, we recommend using real, fresh lemons. Use a bottle of raw apple cider vinegar instead if you prefer something shelf stable.

The Chalkboard | 07.13.2013 | Reply
  71. I felt great in just a day of taking water and lemon, I usually wake up around 3am, but slept like a baby with my bladder full (is that alright) Am so doing this everyday if I can get this result in a day. And I woke up energerized.

Jane | 07.13.2013 | Reply
  72. Hello All,
    I am trying this after many hours of research on alkaline verse an acid body. I have been struggling with canadida glabarta and a burning mouth after a strong round of antibiotic’s in June. I know there is a connection because the same thing happened 10 years ago after cipro. I have cut all sugars, yeast, gluten and started probiotics been doing that for about 3 weeks now. Done all the antifungals, and boric acid suppositories… I have just started the lemon water yesterday adding a little baking soda and stevia…I feel like my mouth is not burning as much, I am hoping it will also help with the glabrata by keeping the ph in balance. Any one with similar situations or results I would love to hear. Thank you!! what a great site

Jackie | 07.20.2013 | Reply
    • please drink only with warm water plus lemon juice which is cut it half and squeez juice into the cup by you.
      don’t add soda, baking soda, green tea,hot water,salt,sugar,hoeny or lime they are separate entity, if you add them to the lemon juice there will be chemical reactions which will affects power and quality of lemon charcterstics… just simply follow the rules and get the impossialbe nectaar from that.
      those who are having medication, health issues and so on… please take the half of the lemon juice to half liter of water and drink a or two cup lemon juice … you will see the real mircale all the way….prashanth venkataswamy… anyway thank you “thechalkboardmag.com”

prashanth | 02.17.2014 | Reply
  73. does lemon juice have the same effect or do i need fresh lemons?

• Hi Elizabeth, we definitely recommend fresh lemons!

The Chalkboard | 08.06.2013 | Reply
  74. Hi! Thanks for this informative article!

I just want to ask if it’s okay to drink lemon water in an empty stomach?

Honey | 08.06.2013 | Reply
  75. I have been drinking lemon in warm water for 3weeks now and its actually helping me to loose weight. My question is can lemon juice be replaced with lime. Because lime is more available in my area than lemon

temy | 08.11.2013 | Reply
  76. Pls I’m really scared abt the issue of sleeping beyond 4am. I’m a student and I like waking up to read at night.Can anything be done to stop the side effect?

Sarah | 08.13.2013 | Reply
  77. i tried to drink hot water with drops of lemon and honey on my empty stomach in the morning but why is it that whenever i will take my bowels it is painful. i feel like i am constipated but as i read many article it will cure constipation. and i tried not to drink last moth after my bowel bacame normal and not painful. then i tried it again and then this problem occurs. can you please give me some idea what is the problem?…thank you

Mary Ann | 08.19.2013 | Reply
  78. This is great tip, I have definitely felt better since I started doing this every morning. Thanks for sharing this!

79. I have thyroid problem… so i have to take tablet on an empty stomach … then how can i drink lemon juice with empty stomach????…

Maheswari | 09.15.2013 | Reply
    • Hi Maheswari, definitely consult your health practitioner to find out what’s right for you!

The Chalkboard | 09.16.2013 | Reply
  80. i have been takin hot lemon water with a pinch of salt in it….just wanted to know is it right to take these for loosing weight???

alejandro | 09.24.2013 | Reply
  81. My step mum has been drinking a glass of warm lemon water near enough every morning for 10 months. The results we have seen are incredible!!! The weight is dropping off her, she is much bubblier and it has helped her skin. Her doctor recommended it originally to aid her digestive system and not only are all these problems now eliminated but she has seen many other results too! She swears by it and recommends it to every body she sees. She looks and feels incredible – and that’s all down to this easy solution. Thanks!

Bethany Whatley | 10.18.2013 | Reply
  82. Do you get the same benefits if you had the lemon to tea with honey?

Susan Libas | 10.31.2013 | Reply
  83. do you get the same benefits by using limes?

Pauline | 11.20.2013 | Reply
  84. Great article & comments! Thank you.

Bridget | 11.21.2013 | Reply
  85. Why warm water? Does lemon + water combination have the same effect if the water is ice cold?

sara | 11.21.2013 | Reply
  86. Loved your post.
    I have been a lemon water loyalist ever since I was goaded by my mother into trying it as a teenager. At that point I was willing to try anything to put an end to the innumerable zits that started popping up on my face. This elixir has held me in good stead for years now.
    A GOOD TIP is to add a dash of cinnamon powder, its anti microbial properties add a host of benefits to the already amazing drink.

87. When should I have my breakfast? One hour after or something? Or is this breakfast itself?

Daniel | 01.05.2014 | Reply
    • From what I’ve read in other articles regarding warm water/lemon juice in the morning, it is suggested that you should wait at least an hour before eating to get the full benefits.

Eric | 02.17.2014 | Reply
  88. I started daily on my warm water and lemon and now I’m up to three cups a day. I suffered constipation for over 20 years on and off, horrible. A friend of mine got me onto this ritual and boy does it every WORK. Keep in mind that you still have to eat a healthy diet and exercise but the warm lemon water really gets the bowel moving normally.

Carol | 01.13.2014 | Reply
  89. Just found out about it! I heard that a pinch of salt (along with the lemon and warm water) do the trick. Does the salt really helps?! Other thing; i wake up and drink this…how long should i wait to eat something in the morning?

P.S: I´m using the lime since are easier to find in Brazil

Cesar | 01.24.2014 | Reply
    • I read that you should wait 30 minutes in order to let the lemon water really start working. Have you kept up with it?

Michael Fields | 03.10.2014 | Reply
  90. I have been substituted warm water and honey instead of drinking coffee and tea I feel so healthy and more active I have lost weight or may I say i have lost a lot of body fat my clothes are a lot looser, yet on the scales I am still the same which is very strange ,my intake of food has reduced and I never feel hungry , and my sweet tooth has disappeared !!!!

Lee | 02.13.2014 | Reply
  91. my cholestrol level is high (above 5.5) though my overall stress test results etc are good (stage 5) and my HDL is also high. does it have anything to do with the ph balance of my blood system? overall I am careful with my food and hv started this lemon & warm water regime past 3 mths. 1 impt Q – does taking coffee after an hour + negate the good effects? Tq so much – appreciate other advise as well

christine | 02.16.2014 | Reply
  92. I had very bad breath but after drinking lemon juice with warm water in early morning on my empty stomach what a miracle !!! No bad breath, No Flu nor cold for the past 6 months!!!, lose some weight !!!, I have been taking this early in the morning before 2 hours of my breakfast and coffee or tea time too. Absoultely it is very simple yet great nectar to the mank kind. Please drink it and you will fly everday and all the time!! prashanth venkataswamy

prashanth | 02.17.2014 | Reply
  93. First, I have to say I really enjoyed reading all the different post. I have ulcerative colitis and meta plasia of my stomach. Too much acid!!! With that said I never get heart burn or acid reflux Unless I drink lemon water! If lemon water turns Alkaline once drank, why does it affect me this way? Please help answer if possible. Thanks much

Nicole | 02.24.2014 | Reply
  94. Really informative article i want to know two things 1. I squeezed one lemon juice in a water bottle of 1.2 litres. , and water is at room temp my question is does it reduce weight? Becz i dont want to lose weight i m already skinny. Kindly plz reply soon.

fara | 03.05.2014 | Reply
  95. All of the above, but mostly for potassium for Bp and weight loss

kathy | 03.12.2014 | Reply
  96. I know this is an old post, but in case anyone is reading this…
    Is it okay to take my daily probiotic at the same time you have lemon water in the morning? (I take Megafood Megaflora, which I originally found thanks to advice from this site!)

Sam | 03.17.2014 | Reply
  97. Can you still have your morning cup of coffee after you drink the lemon water ?

Sharon | 03.18.2014 | Reply
  98. I started doing this 2 weeks ago. It cleanses my palette in the morning and I’ve definitely lost a bit of weight as we as just feeling ‘cleaner’ internally. It’s a great way to start the day.

Natalie | 03.20.2014 | Reply
  99. Great health Info— look forward to receiving more— THANKS

Flash | 04.15.2014 | Reply
  100. I would like to add honey to my lemon water, will I still get the same benefits from the lemon water?

DiAnn | 06.08.2014 | Reply
    • Hi DiAnn, if honey helps you make this into a lasting habit, then a tbsp of honey should be just fine!

The Chalkboard | 06.10.2014 | Reply