The pesto-breading on these roasted tomatoes make them gluten-free! With a rich bruschetta taste, but ‘real food’ feel these tomatoes span the seasons. Dainty, darling and delectable – don’t you just love? A perfect way to kick off an end-of-summer get-together!
Gluten-Free Oven-Roasted Tomatoes
12 medium sized tomatoes, washed
1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
2 cups washed fresh basil
1/2 cup raw walnuts
2 cloves fresh garlic
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Start off by slicing the heads off tomatoes, and placing in an oven-proof muffin tray.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Combine the basil, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper in a food processor until the mixture becomes a smooth, spreadable paste.
4. Place a few teaspoons of the pesto on the flat part of each tomato.
5. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
6. Bake in oven for 12 minutes. Turn on broiler and cook for additional 5 minutes.
7. Remove from oven, and serve with balsamic vinegar and capers on the side.
CAUTION: these tomatoes are mouthwatering, so make extra because they go fast!