I’m sure we’re all guilty of paying closer attention to our skincare than we do to haircare. You have to remember that just as our skin gets exposed to chemicals and adverse weather conditions, so does our hair. The combination of exposure to harsh weather conditions along with the stress of styling products and tools is the ultimate formula for dry, brittle and damaged hair.
Give your hair a break from all the harshness and give it some love for a change. Here’s a DIY hair mask that will make your hair go bananas – in a good way! The best part of this hair mask is that all of the ingredients can be found in your kitchen and all of them are chemical-free.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 bananas (I have medium-length hair, so I used 2 bananas)
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- Blender or food processor (I don’t recommend using a fork as an alternative to mash the bananas because the banana chunks won’t wash out completely)
How to make your hair go bananas:
1. Peel the banana and puree it in the blender or food processor and make sure there are no lumps. If your banana isn’t ripe, stick it in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
2. Add the lemon juice, honey and olive oil. You should notice it becoming smooth and creamy.
How to apply:
1. Take the banana hair mask and apply it onto the ends of your dry hair and work your way up.
2. Massage it thoroughly into your hair and scalp.
3. Tie your hair in a bun and put on a shower cap and leave in the hair mask for about 15~30 minutes.
4. Rinse your hair with shampoo and conditioner.
Banana is high in potassium, natural oils, carbohydrates and vitamins that will help soften, nourish, strengthen and add moisture to your hair and scalp. So if you have dry, frizzy hair or flaky scalp, and dandruff, this mask will be your cure.