Pumpkins aren鈥檛 just for decoration this month; they鈥檙e also for making delicious and healthy treats! Low in fat and calories, and loaded with beta-carotene, vitamin C, fiber and potassium, homemade pumpkin puree is a tasty and nutritious addition to your diet this season. As you gear up for Halloween, consider buying a few pumpkins for carving – and some for eating!
One of the easiest and most versatile ways is to eat a pumpkin is to puree it. Make it a family affair and follow the instructions below to make it at home. Here are a few fun and healthy ways to use the homemade pumpkin puree:
路聽聽 聽Make creamy pumpkin soup
路聽聽 聽Whip up your own custom pumpkin spice latte
路聽聽 聽Make a batch of pumpkin spice granola
路聽聽 聽Bake a loaf of gluten-free pumpkin bread
路聽聽 聽Stir a spoonful into your oatmeal or breakfast quinoa
Homemade Pumpkin Puree
Makes about 2 陆 cups
- 3 Sugar Pie Pumpkins聽 cut into quarters, insides scooped out, stem removed
- Save the seeds to make聽toasted pumpkin seeds!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil.聽
- Place pumpkin skin side up on the foil.聽
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until soft.聽
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.聽
- Once cool enough to handle, scoop the insides into a food processor and puree.聽
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.