7.21.15

DIY’s don’t come any simpler than this – and rarely are they more gorgeous. We’re dying to burn our floral smudge sticks from 100 Layer Cake – cedar, sage, rose and lavender have us like “!”

This is our third summer tutorial from the styling geniuses over at 100 Layer Cake. Try these floral bundles first, then set-up shop at home for a sweet-smelling fete with their wall hangings too…

Continuing our obsession with dried flowers this summer, we came up with this simple project to infuse a bit of floral goodness into your home in an unexpected way. So you know about smudge sticks, yes? Those bundles of dried white sage that hippies like to burn? Well, what if you made your own using some extra fragrant herbs and flowers? Even if you don’t burn them (though you totally could), they’d make a beautiful hostess gift or favor for a bridal or baby shower this summer. They’re just so pretty as an object of appreciation in your home.

A starting note: You can buy the herbs already dried if you like, though they will be more difficult to wrap up together since the leaves will be pretty brittle. You can also find your pieces fresh, wrap them how you like and hang them up to dry for a few weeks.

Floral + Sage Smudge Sticks

Supplies:

white sage
cedar
lavender
roses or any other herb or flower that dries well.
cotton culinary twine

Directions:

The instructions are pretty basic here: Bundle together your herbs and flowers in a pleasing way. Wrap tightly with cotton twine and wait til dry.

Or if you’re working with dried ingredients already, disassemble an existing sage smudge stick (look for a high-quality one with large leaves still in tact, not one that looks crumbly already). The leaves will already have a shape to them so let their direction inform how you’re adding new bits and how you ultimately tie it all together. You can let the sage be the outside “wrapper,” since the leaves are the broadest of the bunch. Add springs of dried cedar, lavender, roses, rosemary or anything else you have on hand (maybe even some palo santo wood?) to the center of the bundle. Then carefully close the bundle together in your hand and wrap with cotton twine.

The leaves must be completely 100% dry to burn so it’s best to wait until you’re sure. Light one end and enjoy!

1. love your style and will follow

2. You look incredible!KISS

3. I was suggested this website by my cousin. I am no longer
    positive whether this publish is written by way
    of him as nobody else recognise such certain about my trouble.
    You’re wonderful! Thank you!

4. Very nice indeed. But far from being ‘bundles of dried white sage that hippies like to burn’, smudge sticks are a very sacred tool for First Nations ceremonies.

kt2shoes | 04.30.2016 | Reply
  5. Please sign me up

Donna | 05.05.2016 | Reply
  6. ^ what kt2dhoes said

Beautiful though

Adina | 05.11.2016 | Reply
  7. Beautiful. And seriously echoing this: “far from being ‘bundles of dried white sage that hippies like to burn’, smudge sticks are a very sacred tool for First Nations ceremonies.” —kt2shoes

8. They are our medicine. We burn them in ceremonies or to cleanse new spaces, or spaces where bad things have happened. Our four traditional medicines are sage, sweet grass, cedar and tobacco. In order for them to be authentic, one has to harvest the medicine themselves. This is very important, as whatever you burn echoes the feelings you put into it. It is the same with art, and the same with food preparation. You have to put positive thoughts and think about the outcome you want for this place, or your smudging will not be authentic.

Not a hippy thing. An indigenous thing.

Your flowers are cute, but you don’t mask the ignorance here. What you’re doing is colonial and frowned upon in many circles, and it seems clear that you did not know that. Despite this, if you do read your comments atleast, I would reconsider leaving this post up . I would rethink encouraging this sort of action if I were you, in respect to the struggle we indigenous people face daily when it comes to truth and reconciliation, and reclaiming our territories and traditions.

Lauren | 07.13.2016 | Reply
  9. This is cultural appropriation.

Shane | 10.11.2016 | Reply
  10. People, give the finger shaking, and cultural bashing and shaming a rest! Homo sapiens have been bundling flowers and herbs for millennial. This gathering, binding, and burning of plants is not an “indigenous” trademark or copyright. It is not “colonial” or cultural appropriation. Modern and Ancient tribes and cultures of Europe, India, Asia, Africa, indeed people in the northern and Southern Hemispheres use and have used the bundling and burning of plants as an innately human artistic, spiritual, and healing expression.
    Do you “shamers” deliberately search websites to post your self-righteous, educationally judgmental and indignant comments on what you perceive as injustices to your culture? Talk about ignorance and time wasting. Perhaps, you should appreciate and comment on the beauty of using plants in any fashion.

Mamaj | 10.12.2016 | Reply
  11. I think the smudge stick, as is labeled here, is most lovely. Mamaj is quite right in her analysis of bundling plants. If you research, you will find the Ayurveda and other ancient lifestyles used these. I would much rather do this than have a pot of artificially scented wood chips siting around gathering dust and creating migraine attacks for my daughter. I will be looking around this web site for more helpful and beautiful hacks on life. Thanks for posting this.

Diane C Bush | 10.13.2016 | Reply
  12. Smudging is not something to be taken as lightly as its presented here. The cultures that smudge have had rituals for millennia, but this write up ignores the sacred and links the practice to hippies.

Syringa | 10.14.2016 | Reply
  13. I agree … all grow and use these wonderful plants for our own reasons, in our own ways. No one person or people can claim singular dominion. I love reading about each persons combinations, rituals and use of the plants… but lets share without exclusion or judgement.. <3

Linda | 11.05.2016 | Reply
  14. It’s frustrating to see that this website hasn’t taken this article down in over a year. Smudging is not just a “trend” that you can use in “your own way”. This is cultural appropriation, and those who continue to ignore these comments are perpetuating colonization and are being oppressive to indigenous peoples.
    Please try to be anti-oppressive and more inclusive in the space you have created here – especially if you’re goal is to spread love.

Betty | 02.06.2017 | Reply
  15. hereof
    Bogner Jacken http://www.loscriadillas.com/

16. I love this, thank you so much.

Beth O'Neill | 03.26.2017 | Reply
  17. Do you not realize how ridiculous you sound? I guess we shouldn’t burn candles for the wonderful smells or decoration either because some cultures and religions light candles in remembrance of dead loved ones or as a symbol of prayer for the sick. Wow. Just wow.

Mamaz4 | 05.01.2017 | Reply
  18. I so agree!!!

Junebug | 05.01.2017 | Reply
  19. I get what you’re saying. We are ALL indigenous at our roots. So really it is an indigenous thing just not limited to one culture but something that can be found in all cultures. The medicine of the lands will perhaps speak to us in different ways. We are all related.

20. So I guess according to “indigenous” individuals, I shouldn’t be smudging. Well, considering I’m Pagan, and its part of MY religion, who is anybody to tell me that I shouldn’t be doing something. Burning things that smell good doesn’t belong to any people, it belongs to ALL people. Some do it because it smells good, and others do it because its part of a religious or ritual ceremony. How bout you do your thing, I’ll do mine. Oh, and don’t bother to tell me that how I’m doing it is wrong, because “your people” supposedly did it first. Get over yourselves.

BlessedBe | 05.01.2017 | Reply
  21. I think that there’s some real defensiveness going on here in the comments. So much of our White American heritage IS colonist. Speaking of getting over it, we need to and start recognizing when we are doing so and make corrections.

As for these items……when you call them smudge sticks, that’s where it keys in. Call them something else…..which these actually are when the instructions say to include whatever dried plant material you have around the house with no attention paid to thinking about whether the materials should be burned (or whether the smoke would be OK to breathe).

As for Pagan? Yes, I’m Pagan too. And using burning herbs for cleansing is part of what many of us do. Distinction, for me is awareness of colonization process and whether one it taking the practices of 1st Peoples……or burning herbs like our ancestors did as well.

Lastly, telling someone to “get over” the on-going experiences of colonization is such a typical colonist remark. I’m sorry to read a co-coreligionist say so…..not part of my Paganism.

Helen/Hawk | 05.02.2017 | Reply
  22. This is why I am a Hedgewitch. Such judgmental comments and backbiting going on when really we are all connected on this Earth. We all need the same things to survive and all believe that we give thanks for what we receive from the Great spirit or God , whatever you want to call your diety. Yet we cannot get on together and just accept our differences. It is trite to say burning smudge sticks is a hippie thing. It is incorrect to say only one people have the right to do so, the Ancestors of many races did this. Australian Aborigines still do smoking rituals at every important gathering. Stop being so racist and accept that we are all human. We all share the Earth and what we do affects the entire human race, not just parts of it. Now I will go back to my solitary place and continue to try and be a positive force in the world. I trust you will all do the same.

Old Mother | 05.02.2017 | Reply
  23. What would be the smugging formula for getting rid of kitty litter or dog smell. Thinking kind of a natural antibacterial for the air.

Paula Banta | 05.03.2017 | Reply
  24. I totally agree with you.I am pagan and Native as well and am happy to be reading the article. I didn’t think of being negative about it. I don’t think the author needed chastisement about not putting negativity into the smudge sticks as they appear wonderful to be writing about this. Are you speaking to the Native American who commented on your article are you afraid someone won’t buy your smudge sticks now that they will make them themselves? Shame on you

Jamie Muir | 05.03.2017 | Reply
  25. What I mean is the original author of this article is a good person and what I said about selling smudge sticks is directed toward the Native American I was being facetious however it seems like they want to say that other races are wrong to me making smudge sticks and need chastisementperiod I am the witch as well living in Portland Oregon and I am in both communities so I hate you neither I shouldn’t just the Native American who commented on the article do the same. Shame on you…

Jamie Muir | 05.03.2017 | Reply
  26. Beautiful idea!

Trudy Hamilton | 05.05.2017 | Reply
  27. Love you smudge sticks, love to see more!

Charmaine | 05.10.2017 | Reply
  28. Honestly, you can take the negative and with a grain of salt, . Or let it riddle you with anger and judgment of others. Letting it get to you based upon ill preconceived notions. Use and gather from where you can. Not everyone has the same resources or abundance as others. Intention are best when your are using good intentions . The basic gathering and drying of the ingredients to make into a bundle with natural cord for wrapping. Either for decorations, fragrant bundles (helpful since if you want to burn them they must hang and dry) incense type bundle, or smudge stick. Are all helpful in ways to start making them with basic instructions. (sorry about typos but I am imperfect as everyone else and getting my thoughts out was the important part)

Angie | 05.20.2017 | Reply
  29. This sort of bashing seems to be prevalent on so many smudge sites….yikes!
    When people are making and using something beautiful (botanicals available all over Earth, not just in “indigenous” locations), how is that a rip-off or a negative, as some are seeming to imply? Beautiful things were meant to be shared/used…not singularly owned by any group. Intentions work both ways.

Carol | 06.28.2017 | Reply
  30. Like the earth, sage is God’s creation for ALL of his children. Thank you for sharing your beautiful sage creations. I use them to cleanse and clear spaces.

Tosh | 08.15.2017 | Reply
  31. You are now more aware of the sacredness of white sage. I was taught smudging by a native teacher. I have seen it used extensively by the native healers I have had the privilege of working side by side with. I have been able to grow my own white sage this year and will be harvesting it in a few days. Your dried bundles come from your heart and are beautiful. These will make some nice gifts for grandchildren to introduce them to the gifts that our plants bring us.

Join us for a weekly dose of wellness.