Your Guide to Juicing Without a Juicer
9.16.13

Ever wanted to achieve liquid green bliss, then realized you’re in a home with no juicer? Whether it’s your own apartment we’re talking about, your short stay with a friend or a long-distance family member who you’re trying to turn on to juice – learning to juice with no juicer in sight is a skill that will well serve any devoted juice-head! We love this solution from blogger Dana, aka the Minimalist Baker. Here, Dana walks us through the juicer-free journey…a process-filled journey to be sure, but totally doable!

If you’ve ever felt like a broke college student for not owning a juicer, join the club. While a juicer could be justified in our budget, I don’t want it to be. It’s yet another piece of equipment taking up space in our small kitchen and requiring loads of clean-up time. As with everything I prefer to keep things simple and affordable – the guiding theme of our blog, Minimalist Baker.

My solution? Juicing without a juicer. All you need is a blender, a bowl and a fine mesh strainer, and you’re well on your way to having fresh, custom-made juice in your fridge at a fraction of the cost.

The main thing to remember when choosing a flavor is to keep a balance of savory and sweet. So if you add kale, balance it out with pineapple to keep it from becoming too bitter. If you add beets and carrots, throw in an apple as well to keep it light, refreshing and sweet. Otherwise, dream away and start soaking up the benefits and savings of juicing at home without a juicer.

• Pineapple, Apple, Kale Lemon Juice
    Serves 1
    Total time: 15 minutes

• Ingredients

1/2 ripe pineapple, cut into chunks
    1/2 green apple, seeds and stem removed
    3 cups kale, stems removed
    1 small cucumber, quartered
    juice from half a large lemon

• Directions

Place pineapple, apple, kale, cucumber, and the juice from half a lemon into a blender and blend until smooth, adding a splash of filtered water to help it along if it gets stuck.

Place a fine mesh strainer over a large mixing bowl and pour juice over. Press down with a rubber spatula to speed things along. Reserve pulp for adding back into smoothies, or even baked goods, such as muffins and cakes.

Pour juice into a serving glass and enjoy immediately, or cover and chill.

• Tips

You can make your juice ahead of time and store in mason jars in the fridge, but it’s always best when fresh.

For even more flavor ideas, and ideas from a few of my favorite bloggers, check out my original post.

add a comment (22) Permalink PIN IT

1. Does filtering the fiber out make the juice more potent somehow? Is the fiber a problem? What’s the thinking behind filtering? Is it just that the fiber makes the drink thick? Or, is there a nutritional factor?

JANJAMM | 09.16.2013 | Reply
    • Hi Janjamm, great question! Filtering out the fiber gives your digestive system a rest and therefore makes the nutrients more readily available to your bloodstream, building the immune system and helping to repair your body on a deeply cellular level!

The Chalkboard | 09.16.2013 | Reply
      • Thanks!

JANJAMM | 09.16.2013 | Reply
      • Do you have a citation for your claim: “nutrients more readily available to your bloodstream, building the immune system and helping to repair your body on a deeply cellular level”?
        I’ve read claims to the contrary saying that making these sugars available so easily is detrimental.

E Thomas | 09.30.2013 | Reply
        • JANJAMM,

If you put too much fruit into the mixture that statement would be true but this mixture has a good mixture of greens and fruit in it, I don’t think it’ll be much of an issue. You can always cut down the fruit in the mixture if you have high glucose level.

Garrick | 02.03.2014
  2. I’ve never even thought of that before! Amazing! Thanks!

Hilary x thehealthycollective.com

3. Love this! I love fresh juice but I don’t have time to clean my juicer every morning and can’t afford the vast quantities of produce used to make a little cup of juice!

jenny | 09.17.2013 | Reply
  4. “If you can’t afford a juicer, use a $500-1200 Vitamix blender instead?” Ummmm…….?

Lindsey | 09.20.2013 | Reply
    • Hi Lindsey, while the author does own the Ninja blender pictured, these instructions can work with any blender at any price point!

The Chalkboard | 09.20.2013 | Reply
    • Using what you have is kind of common sense, isn’t it? :) I use a Magic Bullet for small, individual batches, and my Oster blender for larger ones. I would love to have a Breville juicer a la Joe Cross, but my budget won’t allow for even a refurbished one. Enter Team Blender and Sieve, and I get the same results.

5. Hi, this looks excellent! I’ve just printed it off and will be making it tonight :-)

6. This is the almost the exact same recipe I use in my Vitamix (I add the juice of one lime too, plus twice as much kale) and drink (without straining) everyday! Never bothered my digestive system and my body is super sensitive…

AlfaDog | 12.09.2013 | Reply
  7. This is awesome! My juicer isn’t great and it’s obviously soooo messy. Love the idea of filtering out the fiber. I guess you could also use a nut milk bag?

Val | 01.29.2014 | Reply
  8. In winter time even pineapple didn’t help me :) After filtering consistency still was such as in smoothies: thick :( but delicious :) I used apples, pineapple, pear and spinach. Thanks for the idea!

9. I will have to try this. I favor my Nutribullet over my Breville juicer because its footprint is so much smaller in my small kitchen. Now I know I can still make juice when I’m not in a smoothie mood. Thanks!

Diane | 02.25.2014 | Reply
  10. What are some good recipes for juices that have the vegetables and protein our body needs, but tastes mainly of fruit? Thanks!

Krystal | 03.06.2014 | Reply
  11. I’ve been wanting to try this method ever since Dana told me about it! I think it’s time. I owned a juicer for a brief span of time, but it took up way too space. This method is much more practical and, bonus, blenders are easier to clean than juicers!

12. How can you make juice like this without a blender or juicer? I have neither right now and I don’t see getting one in the foreseeable future but I really want to start juicing.

Renata | 05.10.2014 | Reply
  13. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally,
    it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You clearly know what youre talking about, why throw away
    your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving
    us something informative to read?