Every Wednesday we receive a box of fresh local produce from the delivery service Farm Fresh To You. I love the surprise that comes with opening the cardboard box and discovering what fruits and vegetables we will be eating for the next week. Due to the fact that they only source local produce, you really are eating seasonally. If apples are not in season, then there are no apples in the box. Instead you might find Cara Cara oranges or sweet clementines. Last week, I received a box filled with spinach, kale, radishes, oranges, carrots, celery, sweet potatoes, lettuce and fennel. In an effort to use what was in the box, I created a delicious and easy Quinoa, Kale and Spinach Salad. It was a perfect light lunch. The next day, I sauteed all the leftover salad with two eggs and had a delicious scramble for breakfast. I love a 2-in-1 recipe!
Quinoa, Kale, and Spinach Salad
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed, washed, rinsed, and chopped
- 1 bunch of spinach, washed, rinsed, and chopped
- 1 small bunch of radishes, green stems removed, washed, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1/4 white or yellow onion, skin removed, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup of quinoa
- White wine vinegar
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Rinse the quinoa under cold water and drain. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Generously salt the water, as this will flavor the quinoa.
2. Once the water is boiling, add the quinoa. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3. Drain and rinse the quinoa with cold water. Drain again and set aside until the salad is ready to assemble.
4. In a small pan, over medium heat, sauté the onions in olive oil until they begin to break down and caramelize a little.
5. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two.
6. Turn the heat off and remove pan. Let cool.
7. After the onions and garlic have been sauteed, place the chopped kale and spinach into a large bowl. Add the thinly sliced radishes, as well as the onion and garlic mixture.
8. Add 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa and queeze 1/2 lemon over the salad. Mix.
9. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and a splash of white wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Mix the salad together and taste. Once it is properly seasoned, scoop the salad into individual bowls and enjoy!