Anyone else dreaming of the warm, comfy food you will be making as the weather starts to cool down for fall? Maybe it’s just me. Either way, this oatmeal dish can be served to warm you up on a chilly morning, or – check this out – it can be refrigerated for a sizzling summer afternoon! Either way oatmeal is something I just can’t resist as September get under way. Try this gluten-free, mineral-rich recipe full of fruit, nuts and the ever-present Pressed Juicery Almond Milk!
Chunky Monkey Almond Oatmeal
Makes 2 servings
1/2 cup gluten-free oats (I suggest either old fashioned or quick cooking)
1 banana (no green on the peel, please!)
1-1/4 cup Almond Milk from Pressed Juicery
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup raw walnuts
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Pour 1 cup almond milk, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg in a pot over the stove on high heat. Bring to a boil.
2. Add in oats, and reduce heat to low. Stir twice and allow oats to cook for several minutes. (The amount of time depends on the type of oats you use. Old Fashioned will take about 7-8 minutes, while Quick Cooking only takes about 2 or 3 minutes.)
3. Chop up banana, and add to oatmeal. Add in remaining 1/4 cup almond milk, cover pot and allow to sit over low heat for 1 minute.
4. Add in maple syrup, and stir/mash the mixture so the banana becomes chunky but mushy.
5. Finally, add in the walnuts, stir, turn heat off and allow to sit covered for 3 minutes until fluffy and creamy. Serve warm, or refrigerate for a cold, tasty and thick pudding.