On Sunday afternoon, my mom’s best friend hosted an incredible bridal shower for me. The house was decorated in beautiful flower arrangements by Poppies & Peonies and the luncheon was catered by The Cook is Brooke. In my experience, catered events are often hit or miss, with more emphasis on the miss.
Making food for a large group of people that will retain flavor and composition is no easy feat. There is nothing worse than biting into stale puff pastry or overcooked pasta. With that being said, Brooke Larson has mastered the art of catering. With a focus on rustic, seasonal, organic fare, her food was the only thing people were talking about the entire afternoon and it was almost all devoured. She has the ability to combine local ingredients in a modern, accessible, and innovative way. All the dishes were served at room temperature and managed to maintain their integrity over the course of the entire party. I truly cannot say enough good things about The Cook is Brooke. The rest of you will just have to find out for yourselves.
Menu for the Shower
- Broccoli rabe and cave-aged Gruyere cheese tarts with crispy prosciutto bits and a tarragon, chervil salad on top
- Quiche with caramelized onions and fennel, sharp Vermont cheddar and a wild arugula salad on top with a preserved Meyer lemon relish
- Cheese board with fresh rustic bread and salt whipped butter, almonds, dried fruits and seasonal fresh fruits
- Radicchio and Belgium endive salad with pomegranate seeds, kumquats, and a walnut-orange cranberry dressing
- Toasted farro salad with grilled and chopped asparagus, sunchokes, roasted cauliflower and a charred tomato dressing with a basil salsa verde
- Savory bread pudding with braised leeks, cheese and salsa verde
Flowers by Poppies & Peonies