Dear TCM Travel Bunny,
Question: This crazy sexy healthy lifestyle is all well and good at home, but how the heck do you take it on the road?
Answer: Forward-thinking and planning ahead. I don’t know about you, but my job requires lots of travel. I have a choice: I can let my health fall apart or I can do my best to stay balanced in unfamiliar territory. Sometimes when you’re in the middle of nowhere it can be a mind bending challenge to keep clean and green. Check out the top tips that help me love my love-a-liscious self while on the go.
1. Amazing Grasses: If you can’t get a green juice, this tasty powder is your next best option.
2. Magic Bullet: This little blender is perfect to take on the road. Roll up to the local grocery store and grab a few smoothie items and whirl.
3. Vegetarian iPhone apps: There are so many cool ones to choose from. My favorites are VegWeb (for simple & delicious recipes) and Vegan Steven (helps me locate veg-friendly restaurants and grocery stores anywhere!).
4. My supplement case: I adore the Roam Wellness Travel Pak. It’s so perfect for travel.
6. Substitutions: Politely asking the waiter to pull this side from that entrée and use this dressing from that salad… Charm will get you everywhere. Asking for the restaurant to meet your dietary needs does not make you annoying – it’s HOW you ask that counts. Rude folks get spit and lard in their soup. FYI, ethnic restaurants always have the best options. Also, don’t forget to ask for a vegetarian meal on the plane and if the food is crappy just skip it all together. A little fasting never hurt anyone. Plus, did you know that eating while flying can make you stuffy, aka constipated? Make sure to stay wicked hydrated and just say no to soda and pasteurized juice. H2O is the way to go.
7. Sleep: No matter how crazy my schedule gets I never compromise on sleep. Bring a leopard eye mask and hit the pillow for your nightly 8 hours.
8. Super Witch Bath: My friend Ellen, (the most amazing cranial sacral massage therapist and so much more) gave me this dynamite recipe. I use after coaching sessions and travel.
Herbal Cider Bath Recipe
Mix 2 cups of Epsom salt, ½ cup of raw apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup of baking soda and lavender in a warm tub and soak your cares away.
Great for removing acid and anything you’re holding onto emotionally. Just ask for it to melt away…ahhh…
9. Chiropractic adjustments and a deep tissue massage: There’s nothing better to set me right after trains, planes and automobiles. In fact, I worship my gals at Woodstock Integrative.
10. Spice Packs, Cooler & Utensils: These odds and ends help me insure that I always have the tools I need when I need them! If my meal needs some pizzazz at a restaurant, I have my trusty spice packs on hand, which I keep in little recycled spice containers. Usually, I’ll pack some sea salt, garlic powder, Spice Hunter’s Zip Blend, and Stevia. I keep them together in a plastic bag and store them in my purse. I also keep a small cooler in the car for juices and smoothies on the go. And last but not least, I bring my to-go ware in case I need utensils. That way, I can eat my chow anywhere and I’m giving some love and respect to mother earth by skipping the plastic guys!
11. Chlorella: This super duper little supplement is great for detoxing radiation après flying. I up my dose when hurdling through the air in a metal tube.
12. Infrared Sauna: I gave myself an infrared sauna for a birthday present a few years ago. It’s definitely the gift that keeps on giving (and reducing cellulite!).
Peace & the open road,