Here is a fun idea that you can use for almost any sandwich recipe: add citrus to it! Yup – sweet, peeled rounds of citrus add a vibrant, zesty-sweet flavor to sandwiches. They also add a nice amount of fiber and vitamin C to each bite. Use your citrus slice just as you would a tomato slice and layer it in a tall stack. Try oranges, satsumas, tangerines, pink grapefruit, blood orange and white grapefruit. This is a great way to use up end of season winter citrus while you still can! Try pink grapefruit and blood orange on my sprout lovers’ sandwich!.
Sprout Lovers’ Citrus Sandwich
Vegan, makes one sandwich
- 2 slices whole grain or sprouted grain toast
- 1 slice onion
- 1 tsp spicy mustard
- 1 tsp vegan mayo (optional)
- 1/2 cup sprouts (or more!)
- 1 tsp pumpkin seeds
- 1-2 slices pink grapefruit, seeds removed/peeled
- 1-2 slices blood orange, seeds removed/peeled (or use another variety of citrus)
- 4 slices tempeh bacon
- a few avocado slices tossed in lemon juice
- black pepper
Assemble, slice and serve!