It’s an extra-rested Ashleigh here to say hello. I have this week off of work with the kids, and decided to use some of that spare time to whip up dinner for the roomies. On the menu: Cucumber Avocado Rolls, Coconut Parsnip Porridge with Mango, and Lemon Tart for dessert. It was a lot of prep work, but I really love spending free time in the kitchen (when I have it). And a sunny afternoon grocery trip with my kid sister was the perfect start to a few hours off.
RAW COCONUT PARSNIP PORRIDGE RECIPE (serves 4-6)*
- 2 Jicama, peeled and cubed
- 3 large parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups homemade coconut milk**
- 2 limes
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2 green mango
- 2 red bell peppers (optional)
- fresh mint (optional)
** Coconut milk can easily be made at home by blending the meat and liquid of a young thai coconut.
1. Pulse jicama in a food processor until rice-like. Transfer to a mesh bag or cheesecloth and ring out extra moisture. Set aside.
2. Pulse parsnips in a food processor until rice-like. Transfer to a large bowl and combine with jicama “rice”.
3. Dice up mango, bell pepper or any other desired toppings (fresh corn, cucumber, green apple). Set to one side.
4. In a blender, blend coconut milk with the juice of 2 limes, grated ginger as desires, and sea salt to taste. A few tablespoons of a sweetener of your choice is optional.
5. Divide “rice” into bowls. Pour coconut milk generously into each bowl. Add diced fruit/vegetables.
6. Top with finely chopped fresh mint and serve!
This one would be a great summer morning breakfast topped with berries or banana. Enjoy and think of us as we plug along into Day 26.